Thread: 340 FR and FL mounting?

Default 340 FR and FL mounting?

I have my 340 Fronts on stands.

This is NOT working with a 19 month old in the house.

Can I lay them on the side and mount/hang them on the ceiling?

does this change the listening zones? do I have to rotate them?

MikeQ - is it because they are top-heavy on the stands? Most everyone fills the stands with 50 lbs of play sand... I know mine could take a direct hit from a VW bug and not budge an inch with the spikes and sand.

If it is because your child keeps touching them / the grill, then yes, perhaps you will need to investigate some other option. They are rear-ported so they will need some space away from the wall if you go that route. Search the forum or you could contact Ascend directly for options.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Oh it is not because they might tip over...it is because the little guy likes to hit them and poke his fingers in the screen. I am terrified that he will one day do this when I am not watching and then...bye bye speaker...

Build a bunker around them - something - but at all costs protect them!!!
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Quote Originally Posted by MikeQ
    Oh it is not because they might tip over...it is because the little guy likes to hit them and poke his fingers in the screen.
    My 21-month-old twins like to do the same thing, but dozens of stern rebukes seem to have cured them of the habit (for now...). They also love to yank on the speaker wires, causing more than a few panicked "what happened to my sound" moments in Daddy. No more banana plugs for me, had to screw in the bare wire...

In any case, you should be somewhat comforted to know that if disaster strikes, you'll get lots of sympathy from David F. He has a little one of his own that took a toy tool drill to his personal pair of 340s...

There must be something wrong with my kids(8 yrs old and 6 yrs old). As far as I know, they have never even touched my speakers....my son does know how to turn the system on and off, and change the source, but for whatever reason, they don't seem to be interested in the speakers.

One thing though, in front of them, I have never shown them my interest in the speakers, and they do not know the grilles come off. They have seen different speakers on the stands and on the floor...they might have asked a question, but that was it.

They have commented before on how good their shows and movies sound.

As for mounting them horizontally, if you look at your 340c vs 340m's, you see the the tweeter is turned 90 degrees....that makes a difference in the dispersion pattern. You might want to give Ascend a call for advice.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    My 21-month-old twins like to do the same thing, but dozens of stern rebukes seem to have cured them of the habit (for now...). They also love to yank on the speaker wires, causing more than a few panicked "what happened to my sound" moments in Daddy. No more banana plugs for me, had to screw in the bare wire...

In any case, you should be somewhat comforted to know that if disaster strikes, you'll get lots of sympathy from David F. He has a little one of his own that took a toy tool drill to his personal pair of 340s...

All VERY good to know!!!

[QUOTE=curtis]if you look at your 340c vs 340m's, you see the the tweeter is turned 90 degrees....that makes a difference in the dispersion pattern./QUOTE]

I thought I had heard this somewhere...Probably here...Thanks

wonder how easy it is to simpley turn them...-