Thread: Speakers for XR55?

Default Speakers for XR55?

Hello, everyone. I've been reading these forums for a few days, and this is my first post.

I'm putting together a system that will be (mostly) music-only and am leaning toward the Panasonic XR55. A few questions:

Suggestions on good speakers for less than $350?
    Should I set the speaks on the floor, or on a stand?
    Anything to know about speaker wire?

The system will be in a large bedroom, and the primary source will be mp3s coming from a digital optical connection to my iMac G5. I don't play music very loud, so good resolution (if I'm using the term correctly) at a low volume is important.

While I don't expect to use the receiver for much movie-watching, I would like a receiver that has strong video options in case I connect it to a TV, x-box, etc. in the future.

Thanks for your help. I'm happy to provide more details about my setup if needed.

(please note that I also posted this at ecoustics.com)

How about getting these http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...70/cbm170.html

As for stands vs floor, definitely stands. When speakers are placed close to the floor/walls, it causes unwanted sound reflections which will negatively affect the sound. Not to mention that you want the tweeter to be at ear level, having the speakers sit on the floor would make all sound seem to come from, well, the floor... Not quite sure thats what you really want...

Speaker wire: basically, copper is copper. As long as the wire is thick enough for the length you're running, you won't have any problems. Have a look here: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Welcome to the Forum, Mirt. That's pretty good for a first post.

David

Agreed. GirgleMirt has it covered here.

Randy