Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Sub

Default WOOT Reviews

On page 6 of the WOOT reviews of the sub, there is a reviewer, who seems knowledgeable and has had first hand experience with the sub. He gives it a rave review. It would sure be nice to get a $400 sub for $105 so that I can allocate the savings to a new receiver, perhaps the Panny xr55.

On the whole, these Woot review are not giving me high hopes for this sub. They speak of suspect build quality, foam surrounds, high port noise, and loosy-goosy bass. When I am going to wake up and realize TANSTAAFL (for you non-Robert Heinlein fans, that's an acronym from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress that stands for "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.")

Oh well, I guess I will have to forget about a new receiver for awhile. It appears that they just had a bunch of old sub enclosures around, just filled them with some cheap drivers. drilled a couple of "ports" and finished them with whatever old parts that were laying around the warehouse. I'm glad that I changed my Ascend order from 170SE's to 340's thereby a sub might not be required for music.

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    On the whole, these Woot review are not giving me high hopes for this sub. They speak of suspect build quality, foam surrounds, high port noise, and loosy-goosy bass. When I am going to wake up and realize TANSTAAFL (for you non-Robert Heinlein fans, that's an acronym from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress that stands for "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.")
    I guess we're reading the reviews in a different light. I've got high hopes for this sub and nothing I've read has changed those hopes. I won't get to use the sub till Tuesday so I can't say one way or the other till then but I'm definitely not discouraged by what's been writter to this point.
    I haven't looked upon this as a "free lunch." I'm expecting a hell of a bargain. Stay tuned.

David

bikeman...I will defer to your judgment to determine the sound quality of the sub because you have the Dayton 10" for comparison, I've never have had a sub and I don't have my system set up yet for auditioning it with the Ascends. If it turns out to be a lemon perhaps it can be returned because Woot stated that it had a rubber butyl surround which, according to the the feedback so far, is just foam. False advertising, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I guess we're reading the reviews in a different light.
    Well, it's mainly the reports of obvious port noise that are worrying me. I'm not aware of much, if any, coming from the Dayton and little things like that tend to stick in my craw and grab my attention... Perhaps I could try the flares from PartsExpress, but I will have a narrow window to return it and get Woot to pickup the shipping (due to the false advertising on the size, weight, and rubber surround).

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    Woot stated that it had a rubber butyl surround which, according to the the feedback so far, is just foam. False advertising, eh?
    Yeah, but I understand how it can happen. Woot dosen't own what they sell and I doubt they're ever even in possession of any product they've sold. They're brokers. All the BS comes from the seller. In this case, SoundBridge. I glad about that because SB appears to be taking care of the problems.
    I'm not at all concerned with the foam issue. Accousticaly, I wouldn't be able to tell a difference and today's foam will outlast my need for the sub so that's not a non issue.
    The port noise is the only thing that needs to be addressed in my book and I'll be reporting on that at my first opportunity.

David

I read some of the latest posts on the SB sub thread over at Woot. There are some folks having success with the sub and not complaining of port noise. I'm starting to wonder if most are just simply over-driving this thing way beyond it's limits. Some knowledgable calibration may be all it takes. BTW, I bought the Texas Hold'em handheld game there today (my first purchase). It will be a stocking stuffer for my nephew. That Woot site and forum just cracks me up...

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    The port noise is the only thing that needs to be addressed in my book and I'll be reporting on that at my first opportunity.David
    I got a brief opportunity to audition the sub before I had to leave. Not the bargain that the original specs would have led us to believe but still an excellent value at the price ($105. delivered). I'll go into more detail once I've EQ'ed it but there was no detectable port noise in my tests with "Master and Commander" and buildings blowin-up.
    The enclosure is much smaller than advertised and this is good considering how small the two ports (holes) are. Build quality is very good. It's a stable unit. It's a keeper.

David

I still haven't taken delivery of my sub. I'll have to admit that my expectations have not been that high given the feedback. However, the level of discussion on the Woot forum was not very sophisticated compared to this forum and AVS. Now that you have had a chance to audition it, my mood has improved. I will be interested in how it stands up to your Dayton 10". Perhaps it can be modified with a new tuned port. I've been exploring the AVS Forum, the subwoof section, and there are several free software programs available that can be used for alterations that might improve the SQ if needed.