Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bought a Sub

Default Bought a Sub

With the introduction of the SE's, I'd decided to put my limited funds into the new 340's and forgo a new sub. That was until this morning. Woot posted this.

http://www.woot.com/

More info here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...nedZ300QQfviZ1

With shipping, it came to $105. It looks like a definite step up from my Dayton 10".
    Full report after delivery.

David

Very cool! Looking forward to reading your impressions.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Full report after delivery.
    But, by then it will be way too late to buy one at this ridiculous price. I'm curious what confirmed its superiority to the Dayton for you -- just the upgrade in wattage? Looks like it doesn't go as low...

Wow! That is cheap! Very tempting to pick one up out of curiosity. Worse case scenario I could pop out the woofer and have a nice little house for the cat. What is with the base...the sub is front firing isn't it?

Randy

Well, fwiw, I just ordered one as well. I like the phase knob vs. the Dayton's 0-180 switch, I've heard front-firing drivers tend to last longer (no gravity pulling the driver down), and its a good deal heavier.

Thanks for the tip, David -- for both woot and the sub. I'd never been to woot before...

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    But, by then it will be way too late to buy one at this ridiculous price. I'm curious what confirmed its superiority to the Dayton for you -- just the upgrade in wattage? Looks like it doesn't go as low...
    I'm guessing the freq. response is wrong. It's identical to the adjustable crossover freq. and I think that's unlikely.
    The unit is twice as heavy as the Dayton and has a much larger enclosure. It almost as large as a STF-3 or ISD-12. The view of the back of the sub also speaks well of it. We'll compare notes shortly.

David

Default Woot subwoofer

What makes a good subwoofer? Is it the cabinet, size of the woofer, weight, finesse involved in combining the variables or what? There must be some refined acoustical skills involved or all subs with identical components would sound the same. The sub offered by Woot certainly is cheap but will it have the capacity to reproduce the refined subtlety of an acoustical bass?

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    What makes a good subwoofer? Is it the cabinet, size of the woofer, weight, finesse involved in combining the variables or what? There must be some refined acoustical skills involved or all subs with identical components would sound the same. The sub offered by Woot certainly is cheap but will it have the capacity to reproduce the refined subtlety of an acoustical bass?
    I'll let ya know in about a week. It's from a company that knows how to reproduce sound.

David

Default I just bought one too.

I checked out the Soundbridge website and they seem to be a legitimate company producing some high end equipment. So, if they are any good, Woot would be sold out in short order. Maybe it is more of a rock and roll type of sub but it's worth the gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    So, if they are any good, Woot would be sold out in short order.
    The folks who frequent WOOT are clueless in this hobby. You could put Ascends on that site and the regulars would bitch about them. Any video card will sell out in no time. But not speakers. Well, maybe if they were $19.95 computer speakers they'd be gone in a flash.

David