Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Power conditioners: necessity or hype?

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    I will go over the Panny's rather confusing configuration menu to see if I have made some mistakes but as of today the XR55 is for sale.
    Silver or Black?

Thanks,
    David

Silver

I am now really intrigued by the Panny....I really want to hear one with my speakers.

I hooked up an XR50 to a pair of Aperion 522D's for a friend and didn't notice anything "bad", but it is a less than optimal setup.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I am now really intrigued by the Panny....I really want to hear one with my speakers.

I hooked up an XR50 to a pair of Aperion 522D's for a friend and didn't notice anything "bad", but it is a less than optimal setup.
    Curtis, if you really want to hear the XR55 with your speakers why don't you buy my Panny? The XR55 are relatively cheap and if you don't like it much, you could always use for a garage system or somewhere else. I already have the Pioneer which is satisfactory for now while I shop around for some sort of tube system. I'm open to full or partial trades, a musical subwoofer would fill one of my needs.

Thanks....but I don't want to try it that badly.
    -curtis

You know that many have said that it takes a while for the panasonic units to break in... How many hours have you used yours for???

Id suggest leaving it tuned to a classical or similar radio station, and try to let it play all day for a number of days, and see if it changes anything to your ears...

Maybe I missed it, but are you using analog or digital input from your squeezebox and whatnot? The issue is this... for real digital inputs to the panasonic, it surely is great... But if youre using RCA inputs, or miniplug inputs or whatnot, youre stuck doing an A/D conversion so that the signal is digital for the amp to use, then once its amplified, you need a D/A conversion too.

If youre doing this, I have no doubt that the sound quality isnt that great. My understanding from doing a lot of reading on the panasonic is that the A/D stage isnt all that great on these units... I could get a link, but its somewhere in the 104+ pages onf the XR55 thread over at avsforum... And Id believe it. Costs have to be sut somewhere.

Due to the fact that I do have my CD collection as MP3 of varying quality on my computer, and given the fact that I have a mac mini and a few laptops as my current computing systems (I have NICE monitors, but dont need the computing power anymore, so I buy small and portable for now at least), I am leaning towards an analog receiver, using either a USB sound card with RCAs, or if I get a receiver with burr brown D/A converters, then maybe Ill pipe digital out... but the key is to minimize the number of conversion steps. If I wanted a HT receiver mainly, with the ability to take digital input from a DVD, then great, if thats my only need, the XR would be fine, but otherwise, it seems to me that the old fashioned options still seem to have a fiar deal of relevance...

But Im just a newbie, what do I know...

JMH
    Last edited by JHZR2; 06-01-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHZR2
    You know that many have said that it takes a while for the panasonic units to break in... How many hours have you used yours for???
    Well, I got mine when it was first introduced last year and the dang thing still dosen't sound any different than it did that first week. How much longer should I wait till it's broken in?

David

[QUOTE=bikeman]Well, I got mine when it was first introduced last year and the dang thing still dosen't sound any different than it did that first week. How much longer should I wait till it's broken in?

David

Break in procedure for Odyssey Amplifiers..

[/Qhttp://www.odysseyaudio.com/setup_tweak.htmlUOTE]

Raja

[QUOTE=rajacat][QUOTE=bikeman]Well, I got mine when it was first introduced last year and the dang thing still dosen't sound any different than it did that first week. How much longer should I wait till it's broken in?

David

Was this meant as a joke?

David

[QUOTE=bikeman][QUOTE=rajacat]
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Well, I got mine when it was first introduced last year and the dang thing still dosen't sound any different than it did that first week. How much longer should I wait till it's broken in?

David

Was this meant as a joke?

David
    Ha! Thought you'd get a kick out of that. It's no joke Odyssey Audio has been in business for many years and has a very good reputation for building moderately high end amps. I think that the owner, Klaus, knows what he is talking about when it comes to his amps and I would suspect that his thousands of customers would agree.

Raja

Raja