Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Power conditioners: necessity or hype?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Finally received the H15. No noticeable SQ/PQ improvement so far, but the thing's well-built w/ plenty of outlets for my equipment. I only wish it had 3 sets of coaxial in/outs for my 2 sat inputs and OTA antenna. Could be snake oil I just bought, but it was much cheaper than any Monster power conditioners out there, so I'm satisfied w/ my purchase.
    Just noticed that you went ahead...oh well! Perhaps I could convince you to sell it on Ebay and buy some Telarc discs to listen to? You'll *definitely* hear a difference there as they are about the finest master recording makers I've come across. Anyway, enjoy and good luck.

Best,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Ad-Rok
    Perhaps I could convince you to sell it on Ebay and buy some Telarc discs to listen to?
    Funny you mentioned this. Just bought the Telarc hybrid SACD 1812 Overture last week to test my system.

i've got an Acoustic Research surge protector that said it had some conditioning on the package. I got it for $40 at Best Buy, and it's been fine for me. Like someone said a couple posts up, you should check out the power conditioning lie thing. I used to get sucked into the "monster lies" as well, but have read a number of articles debunking such statements over the past couple years.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Exclamation

On the subject of hype, some pretty reputable companies are making these conditioners now. Whereas Monster has seemed to always be running a hyped up marketing scheme.

So far I like my APC H15. I did find one thing strange though. I had ALL my equipment running through it, and noticed at high volumes the sound was in my opinion, restricted. I disconnected my receiver and subwoofer from it and are running them on PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. Sounds better, and the picture quality for some reason improved as well. I'll keep it this way.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Check out the deals on these Powervar UPS/power conditioners! The units actually have isolation transformers in addition to the other features. I bought the ABCDE 350 for about $50 but the shipping is close to $50 also. You can get the UPS/power conditioners or just the power conditioner alone. These units are used by hospitals and other mission critical entities. They appear to be slightly used and the wholeseller must have bought a shipload. Definitely a step above Monster Power Centers which do not have isolation transformers. BTW my unit retails for over $600. http://www.powervar.com/
    I'm awaiting delivery and will report my impressions.
    http://search.ebay.com/powervar_W0QQ...sopZ3QQxpufuZx
    Last edited by rajacat; 04-10-2006 at 10:26 PM.

Unhappy

Did you notice the power rating on these units? Only 280 watts. You're not going to be able to run much on just one of these units.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Yeah, I noticed the power rating but I will be able to run my Panasonic XR55 because it only draws 135W which leaves some room for some other small devices such as the power supply for my Squeezebox.
    Last edited by rajacat; 04-11-2006 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    Yeah, I noticed the power rating but I will be able to run my Panasonic XR55 because it only draws 135W which leaves some room for some other small devices such as the power supply for my Squeezebox.
    But how much power does it draw when it is doing this?:

Output Power - Home Theater Mode 100W per channel (6 channels, 1kHz, 6 ohms, 0.9% THD)

Granted, you would probably never do that...but I got to think that at some point it needs more than 135W.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    But how much power does it draw when it is doing this?:

Output Power - Home Theater Mode 100W per channel (6 channels, 1kHz, 6 ohms, 0.9% THD)

Granted, you would probably never do that...but I got to think that at some point it needs more than 135W.
    Does this mean that the Panny will require 600W 120VAC at max. output? The spec sheet states that the power draw is 135W. If this is the case then I quess I made a bad purchase and will only be able to use the unit for the Squeezebox. Woe is me! I only listen to 2 channel but that would mean that there is not much headroom. When the spec sheet states that the power consumption is only 135W why would it not state that, at times, 600W would be required? Power consumption in standby mode is .2W. On well, I can use it as a great UPS for my laptop.
    Last edited by rajacat; 04-11-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Also remember that no amp is 100% efficient, so it would draw more than 600 watts.
    -curtis