Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Power conditioners: necessity or hype?

Probably is fine actually. I read somewhere that MOV based surge protectors should be replaced every year or two because the MOV's gradually lose their spike absorption abilities with every high current hit.

Randy

Default Costco surge protector

About a month ago, I was at my computer and suddenly sparks were flying from the surge protector and the scent of burning was in the air. At the power pole, a line had broken and crossed with the ground line from my internet cable. My cable modem, two clock radios, the electrical brain for the stove, the Dish Network modem/DVR and various light bulbs were all fried. The bottom line was that my computer and accessories were all protected by a garden variety surge protector that can be bought at any hardware store. I'm not sure that if I was not present to shut off the power that the cheap surge devise would have continued to protect the computer.

I now have the Costco surge protector at various strategic locations. It appears to be much more robust than the hardware store surge protector that saved my system.

Exclamation

Just about any surge protector is better than none. The advantage to some of the higher cost units, is that if your equipment is damaged, they have coverage to help pay for the replacement/repair of the units, including the surge protector. Just be sure to keep your receipts.
    Last edited by Lee Bailey; 12-06-2005 at 10:12 AM.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    The advantage to some of the higher cost units, is that if your equipment is damaged, they have coverage to help pay for the replacement/repair of the units, including the surge protector. Just be sure to keep your receipts.
    Collecting on these warranties is very difficult. There are many ways that equipment can be fried even with the best protection. The warranty is very specific about coverage. There have been multiple threads on this on other forums. The warranty is not what most folks are led to believe.

David

Lee, in an earlier post you mentioned the importance of 'voltage regulation.' In AVS, 1/2 the people say it made a difference in their A/V PQ and SQ and the others say they saw no difference. I'm mainly checking out either the APC H10 or H15, which have voltage regulation (in addition to surge protection & other features). Did you notice any improvement? Worth the extra $$ over the plain ol' surge protector?

BTW, I also have the Costco specials lying all around the house also and saw they retail for $50 at Fry's. So they're a steal at <$20.

Lightbulb

I won't be able to tell you the difference yet. It is still being shipped to me, and I won't be opening the present to myself until Christmas! Since the unit does not 'regenerate' the AC like the much more expensive units from PS Audio and some others (you're talking about a $1500 to $2000 unit vs $400), I don't expect any miracles.

Again, the better the power in your area, the less differences you will probably see. I'm sure in most areas, that voltage is probably lower during the day than it is late at night. Of course, you need a metering system with a running chart to track that kinda stuff, unless you want to hang around all day with a volt meter, and check it every 1/2 or so!

As for the equipment insurance, I'm sure there are some 'requirements' that one will have to fulfill to get a company to pay for damages their unit should have stopped. Otherwise, it wouldn't be offered as part of the price, it would be an 'option'.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Well, bought a TrippLite UPS from Costco with voltage reg (who knows if I need it though), but it's going back. Not sure of the importance of the number (I thought the higher the better), but it's surge protector is rated to <500 joules and I really don't need the UPS function. So, ended up getting the the APC H15 also. I doubt I'll notice a difference in SQ/PQ, but at least I'll have a bunch of cool lights to stare at.

Finally received the H15. No noticeable SQ/PQ improvement so far, but the thing's well-built w/ plenty of outlets for my equipment. I only wish it had 3 sets of coaxial in/outs for my 2 sat inputs and OTA antenna. Could be snake oil I just bought, but it was much cheaper than any Monster power conditioners out there, so I'm satisfied w/ my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Anyone in the camp that my $20 Costco surge protector is good enough?
    ABSOLUTELY ,YES. [Note: see "The Power Conditioning Lie" in the thread immediately below this http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=873.] It was mostly true in 1979 when the old-schoolers were building speakers, definitely true in 2000 when this article was written, and it's unequivocally and scientifically proven true today. I fell victim to, shall we say, a Monster hoax ;-) in the past (I even fell victim to the <gasp!> Better Off Somewhere Else hoax too)!

Admittedly, without knowing what amplifier you are using to drive your speakers, it's hard to make a complete assessment. But Bryston doesn't say "plug our amplifier directly into its own wall socket, our circuitry is all you will ever need" in its manuals for nothing. Unless you are using a truly abysmal amp with broken or thirty-year-old parts, you need nothing more than a simple, well-grounded surge protector on your electronics. You might go with one of those battery backup jobs if you care to slow-power-down your components in an area with frequent power outages as someone above suggested, but as for "power conditioning," I say don't believe the hype.

And while we're on the subject of Monster hoaxes, buy inexpensive well-terminated and shielded cables from the Chinese makers that supply everyone through someone like pccables.com. Monster, Kimber and all of the rest are just giant hoaxes, *especially* with digital signals, which have ZERO variation whether coming over (to paraphrase the article) a coat-hanger, a lamp-cord or a kimber cable wrapped in rose petals made by buxom south american virgins.

Let the disagreements begin </me puts on flame-retardant suit>, but this has been researched and proven time and time again. You will not hear a difference and your equipment won't live a day longer with so-called "line conditioners." Think of the money you'll save...you could outfit your bedroom with some more Ascends :-).

Hope this helps some!

Best,
    Adam
    Last edited by Ad-Rok; 01-21-2006 at 10:53 AM.