Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Power conditioners: necessity or hype?

Default Power conditioners: necessity or hype?

Some Monster power conditioners still available at the GG closeouts. Should I pick one up or is it just a glorified surge protector with fancy flashing lights? Unless I could get a Monster one at a ridiculous price, what other brands to consider (PureAV? Panamax)? Currently, just using a $20 Costco surge protector and feel a little nervous having so much stuff plugged into it. Just thinking of new things to buy/research.
    Last edited by BGHD; 12-01-2005 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Currently, just using a $20 Costco surge protector and feel a little nervous having so much stuff plugged into it. Just thinking of new things to buy/research.
    Consider a Brickwall unit. I feel very comfortable with it's surge suppression capabilities and Brickwall claims that the unit provides pretty decent filtering to boot...even tho it is not sold as a "conditioner" per se. Group buys pop up from time to time to save a few bucks.

Randy

Exclamation

It depends on how good your power is in your area. Personally, I think that voltage regulation is the most important. Add to that some noise filters, surge protection, and possibly a UPS.

If you have a newer TV or PJ that uses one of those $400.00 lamps, you'll want a battery backup. There is a cooling fan inside that needs to stay running even after you power down the TV. Abrupt power outages can cause the lamp to pop.

I've got an APC AV H15 unit on order. Provides 12 outlets of surge and noise protection, plus voltage regulation. I can always add an external UPS later if I feel the need.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Thats a great point Lee, I've got a PS Audio ultimate outlet that does passive noise / surge protection and I'm quite happy with, but I need to get a UPS for those times when the power goes out... happens to my fairly frequently, but luckily not since August when I got my LCD projector HDTV (at least not when it was powered up).
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Default Sony LCD projector

How do you like your Sony projector? Does it stand up well in comparison to a regular LCD television? I know that won't be as sharp but does it handle high definition adequately?

Royal

I have an LCD projector, not a ceiling mounted projector... not sure if that is what you meant or not. For HDTV it is incredibly sharp... I mean, it IS an HDTV after all! Wish I lived in an area where we had more HD programming available... supposedly it is on its way next year as local tv stations upgrade their equipment.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into the Brickwall ones. Lee, I've read good reviews of the APC H15 you mention too. Time to start scouring the net for some deals. I'll assume most of y'all think Monster's a little overpriced, even discounted at GG.

Default LCD projector

Yes, I was referring to a ceiling type projector some of which use LCD technology.

Thumbs up

If you want a unit with battery backup, voltage regulation, and filtering, look at the Belkin units. The Model AP30800-10 can be had for under $300.00 on some of the web sites. For some reason, BB wants $599.99 for it, while the Belkin site sells it for only $399.99. Go figure.

You can check it out at Belkin's website here:
    PureAV Model AP30800-10
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Default Costco good enough?

Anyone in the camp that my $20 Costco surge protector is good enough?