Thread: HTM-200 upgrade

Default HTM-200 upgrade

No word on upgraded HTM-200s? I was set to buy five, now I'm afraid they'll upgrade right after I do.

Was the HTM Ascend's first speaker? I wonder if the 170 and 340 may be Dave's babies, and the HTM-200 is like the girl you dated in high school that you leave behind when you go to college. So maybe there won't be an upgrade...

The 170 was the first....the 200 second.

I would call Ascend to find out the future for the 200.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    The 170 was the first....the 200 second.

I would call Ascend to find out the future for the 200.
    Thank you.

David just posted a lengthy response to this and other queries over on the AVS forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Trench
    Thank you.

David just posted a lengthy response to this and other queries over on the AVS forum.
    Yes. It looks like the HTM-200 is being left behind.

One of the selling points in the description of the HTM-200 on the website is that it uses:
    the same high-performance 1" soft dome tweeter used in our reference standard CBM-170 loudspeaker.
    Now the new CBM-170SE has a incredible new tweeter, to quote Dave:
    I am proud to introduce what I feel is the world’s very best compact neodymium tweeter.
    And it looks like the HTM-200 is not going to have this upgrade, anytime soon.

So, the HTM-200 is undeniably the 2nd-class speaker in the Ascend line now. The fact that it couldn't go as low as the 170 and 340 was acceptable, given it's size. Perhaps it even gave up some midrange with the smaller woofers, once again acceptable because of the size. It could always hold its head up and say it had just as good highs, because it had the same tweeter.

No longer. The HTM-200 is now inferior in every way, even the highs, where is doesn't have to be.

Hi S_rangeBrew,

Not entirely true... the main benefit of the new SEAS tweeters are a lower resonant frequency.. This allows a low crossover point which is ideal for a loudspeaker that uses a large woofer (like a 6.5" or 5.25"). The larger the woofer, the lower in frequency cone-break up modes begin.

The HTM-200 uses dual 4" woofers, these woofers don't exhibit cone-breakup until 2 full octaves above the crossover point. A lower resonant frequency tweeter is really not needed in this speaker, the many benefits of which would not be fully utilized.

However, I always listen to my customers and if you want the new tweeter in the HTM-200, I can work on it. It will, of course, force a price increase on HTM-200.

So, the HTM-200 is undeniably the 2nd-class speaker in the Ascend line now.
    I don't agree with that statement... The new tweeter is more suited for use in the CBM-170/CMT-340. Of course I investigated using the new tweeter in the HTM-200. I did not find enough of an improvement that would justify increasing the cost. The new tweeter was designed using our current tweeter as a model...

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi S_rangeBrew,

Not entirely true... the main benefit of the new SEAS tweeters are a lower resonant frequency.. This allows a low crossover point which is ideal for a loudspeaker that uses a large woofer (like a 6.5" or 5.25"). The larger the woofer, the lower in frequency cone-break up modes begin.

The HTM-200 uses dual 4" woofers, these woofers don't exhibit cone-breakup until 2 full octaves above the crossover point. A lower resonant frequency tweeter is really not needed in this speaker, the many benefits of which would not be fully utilized.

However, I always listen to my customers and if you want the new tweeter in the HTM-200, I can work on it. It will, of course, force a price increase on HTM-200.

I don't agree with that statement... The new tweeter is more suited for use in the CBM-170/CMT-340. Of course I investigated using the new tweeter in the HTM-200. I did not find enough of an improvement that would justify increasing the cost. The new tweeter was designed using our current tweeter as a model...

Hope this helps!
    Yes, it helps, I just saw all the information on how the new tweeter is so nice and how much work you put into it, and was dissapointed my favorite Ascend speaker wasn't getting any love. Please excuse my impassioned, if misinformed post.

Personally, the cost of the HTM-200 vs. CBM-170 doesn't matter to me, and I doubt it matters to many others. The reason I like the 200 is it's small size and flexibility. If the new tweeter makes a noticeable improvement in the 200 or helps it match the sound of the SE models, by all means, put it in and increase the price. However, if you don't think it makes a noticeable difference, don't bother. I don't think you'll find me or anyone else questioning your judgment on that!

Keep up the good work, and thank you for the kind and informative response. I could see from the charts that the HTM-200 has very good decay numbers, but didn't realize that also applied to the crossover area. I guess multiple small woofers do have some advantages.