Thread: Wife And I Are At Odds On Surround Speakers

Smile Wife And I Are At Odds On Surround Speakers

Hello first time poster to this forum, I am building a HT into an existing family room and I have issues with the wife. She’s ok with having speakers on either side of the display, a center speaker, and a sub. She has drawn the line on speakers on either side of the sofa or surface mounted on the walls.

I plan to purchase a pair of CMT-340M, CMT-340C, and Sonance Symphony S625TR for the surrounds in the ceiling. I have yet to decide on a Sub Woofer. All are being feed by Denon AVR-5600.

Question am I heading in the right direction in using the Sonance Symphony S625TR? Because the ceiling is already sheetrocked what should I do to prepare the surrounding area around the surrounds? Should I try to glue the sheetrock to the rafters to make the area more secure?

This is my first attempt at building a HT. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

this thread might be of some help:
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...=derek+ceiling
    -curtis

Wow! This thread stil lives!

About a month ago I sold the original house that I had the c660 speakers in and moved them to our new house. I actually think they sound better in this house because there are no echos (the other house had a _really_ bad echo problem).

The speakers were originally installed in the 1st floor ceiling in a multi-story house. There was nothing special about the installation. You can purchase the back boxes if you wish (provided the sheetrock isn't up), but it isn't really necessary. All they would do would be to make installation a little easier.

The new house (actually it is 40 years old as opposed to the old house that was brand-new), is a single story house with blown in insulation above the room. In order to prevent insulation pieces from working their way into the speakers (they are not encased), I placed a good sized piece of regular, paper-backed insulation above the speaker to act as a barrier (paper side facing the speaker). This seems to work well.

In either case nothing special was done to reinforce the ceiling.

I still love these speakers. They are practically invisible and sound fantasic!

Derek