Thread: 170's/subwoofer or just 340's

Question 170's/subwoofer or just 340's

I am setting up a new system which will transition to a 6.1 system. To start I just want a standard 2.0 or 2.1 setup but want good bass response. Do the 340's have adequate bass response without a subwoofer? Would the 170's/subwoofer sound better than stand alone 340's? The system will be set up in a 3300 cu/ft room, only 7'9" ceiling, and at the present time I have a Pioneer VSX-D498 but want to upgrade to the Panny SA55.

For movies, in that big a room, I'd vote for the 170+sub combo. But, w/ the new 340SEs coming out, not sure if they might do the trick themselves.
    Last edited by BGHD; 11-25-2005 at 02:21 PM.

Default Music is my first priority.....

but movies will be important too. The room doesn't seem that big, it must be the low ceiling that makes it feel of moderate size. 29' x 15' x 7.75'. I will be curious to see the first reviews of the new models. I'm chomping at the bit but I will have to postpone my purchase until mid January.

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    but movies will be important too. The room doesn't seem that big, it must be the low ceiling that makes it feel of moderate size. 29' x 15' x 7.75'. I will be curious to see the first reviews of the new models. I'm chomping at the bit but I will have to postpone my purchase until mid January.
    you will always need a sub with 170's or 340's even the new Se's which are rated down to 45hz.

Their is a LOT of sub 45hz bass in movies.

Just ask my wife after re-eqing/calibrating my SVS 16-46pc+ last night :-)

I just did some listening to the 170SE, and I think a lot of people could use them with music without a sub......but for movies, you will miss a lot of the LFE experience in the action/sci-fi type movies without a sub.
    -curtis

Default 170SE's

Well, I made the decision to go with the 170SE's and I'm now on the waiting list. I will have plenty of time to decide on a subwoofer, probably a HSU stf2 or a SVS.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I just did some listening to the 170SE, and I think a lot of people could use them with music without a sub......but for movies, you will miss a lot of the LFE experience in the action/sci-fi type movies without a sub.
    Did you get a chance to compare them to the 340SE? Is there a large difference in bass-output?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I just did some listening to the 170SE, and I think a lot of people could use them with music without a sub......
    .... and they would miss a lot of the music, in many cases. I notice the low-end on a lot of music these days, not just on movie soundtracks. Although, as you pointed out, movie soundtracks are the most intense when it comes to heavy bass.

Quote Originally Posted by KPFury
    Did you get a chance to compare them to the 340SE? Is there a large difference in bass-output?
    Dave mentions in one of his posts that the new 340SE is rated approximately 10hz lower than before...so now say 45hz. I bet the new 170SE is around 55 to 60hz..maybe DaveF will say more.
    -curtis