Thread: 340c cabinet placement

Default 340c cabinet placement

Hello all,

This is my first time posting to your forum and I have a question regarding the 340c. I am looking to replace my old Def Tech DR-7's and C-1 with a new 6.1 speaker setup. I've narrowed my selections to the Ascend's (new 340se and 170se's) and NHT (new Classic 3's and 2's)

My concern is the port placement on the 340c. I have a BDI Avion cabinet, http://www.bdiusa.com/avfurniture/avion.shtml and it places the center speaker in a drawer directly below the TV. Will this be a problem? There will be room in the drawer behind the speaker but the port will be completely blocked from the room. My Def Tech C-1 and the NHT Two C are sealed, so they aren't a problem. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Raymond

I've seen the Avion before. I'd guess Ascend would advise against blocking the rear port and/or enclosing it in such a tight spot. But, if that's what you got going on, maybe they can offer suggestions. When I asked a similar question about in-furniture CC placement in general, Ascend acknowledged that CC placement always has compromises.
    Last edited by BGHD; 11-25-2005 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks BGHD,

After your reply, I checked the measurements of the drawer. you were right, it won't fit, the drawer is 7" tall. Oh well, gotta figure something else out if I'm gonna buy the Ascends.

Lightbulb

You could either build a short stand for it that puts it under the TV, or just extend the shelf out with some MDF or other hardwood to support the speaker. It won't be flush with the TV, but it should work fine.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC