Hi sc300t,

I will do my best here to address your questions:

>Please correct me if I'm mistaken. I think the CBM-170 and CMT-340 share the same woofers but different tweeters.

Different tweeters AND different woofers. Although the woofers physically look the same, their parameters and impedance are quite different.

>Woofer:
AUDAX AM170Z2 6-1/2" SHIELDED AEROGEL WOOFER $76.50 each
This is the only audax 6.5" woofer that has aerogel AND phase plug AND shielded. The woofer mount looks slightly different, but the actual woofer itself looks the same.

Both of our 6.5" Aerogel woofers are custom made for us. You can not purchase these from anyone but us. The AM170Z2 is similar looking, but yet it is quite different from the woofer in our CBM-170. The ONLY similarities are the cone material and phase plug. T/S params, motor assembly, voice coil and former are different.

Tweeter for CMT-340
>AUDAX TW025A12 3/4" TEXTILE DOME TWEETER $34.60 each
This is the only soft dome tweeter that has the face plate for wider dispersion.

Similar but also different, however, our tweeter used in the CMT-340 does share the same faceplate. Also keep in mind that this tweeter (the TW025A12) is not shielded and the one built for us certainly is. There are other important differences as well but the tweeter you make reference to is a fine tweeter as well.

>I am not 100% sure about the tweeters, but isnt CBM-340 using the 3/4" tweeter instead of the 1" as advertised?

The tweeter we use in the CMT-340 is a 1" tweeter. The TW025A12 you mention is also a 1" tweeter, not 3/4". The "25" in the TW025A12 represents 25mm, which is equivalent to 1".

>my most important question is the crossover. The CBM-170 is known for the complex and advanced crossover. All sections are second order and they form fourth order. What about the CMT-340 crossover? Is it better than the CBM-170?

Actually some sections of the CBM-170 crossover are 2nd order electrical, others are 4th order electrical. The CMT-340 crossover is as complex as the CBM-170 but to say one crossover is "better" than another doesn't make sense. The CBM-170 crossover is optimized for the CBM-170, and at the same time, the CMT-340 crossover is optimized for its usage as well. Both crossovers function equally well for each of their specific duties.

If you are planning on trying to build your own CBM-170 or CMT-340, I recommend against this. The woofers and crossovers are proprietary and without these components and the necessary advanced measuring equipment we use (as well as experience), you will not be able to reproduce the remarkable flat and linear response of these speakers, which is our speakers trademark.

Hope this helps.

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com