Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I beat DaveF down and got prototypes!

Default I beat DaveF down and got prototypes!

No...not really...

DaveF graciously offered me a pair of CBM-170SE prototypes for the long weekend on the condition that return them on Monday. He is going out of town for the Thanksgiving weekend and did not need to critique them anymore.......hey, he already announced them. He said these are the only pair of CBM-170SE prototypes he has.

So I left the office early to get to Ascend before Dave had to head home and get ready for his red-eye flight.

I wanted to start this thread so I could gather questions and possibly answer them if I could while looking and listening to the speakers.

It is going to be a busy weekend for me, so other than later this evening, I am not sure how much time I will have to listen to them, but I will do my best.

Thanks to Dave for this opportunity!
    -curtis

Sounds like fun Curtis. I hope you enjoy them. Certainly one of the benefits of being local - you always get good Ascend and Hsu scoops.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    It is going to be a busy weekend for me, so other than later this evening, I am not sure how much time I will have to listen to them, but I will do my best.
    I have time this weekend. Could you overnight them to me? Thanks. FULL REPORT Sunday night. I'm jealous.

David

If that happens, I'll DRIVE to Syracuse to return your disc.

OK...first quick report.

I am running the CBM-170SE's fullrange and no sub. They seem to have the same bass extension as the CMT-340. Yes...they sound good and can easily fill my 14x18x9 room.

The speakers themselves are truly prototypes. The drivers have writing on mounting rings that seem to note the date and batch of the drivers. Funny, one of the cabinets has written on it "CBM-171".

I am watching a basketball game with no sound while listening to music on the 170SE's. In the half hour of listening so far, I have no desire to hook up my 340's. The sound is very transparent. Can you imagine a more refined CBM-170?
    -curtis

Hi Curtis...

Glad you are enjoying them so far... yes.. they are extremely transparent, really allowing you to be deeply drawn into the music.

I am just waiting for a cab on our way to catch a red-eye flight to the East Coast.. Going to spend the holiday with my Dad...

I will definitely be checking in daily, and often.

Hey Curtis... be careful with those babies
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave...thanks again and have a good flight. Do you really want these back?

I just finished to listening to a few discs I use for speaker demos, all fullrange. I did not ever feel like I needed to turn on the sub. The bass is very nice and punchy, the highs seem more refined. The great Ascend mids seem to now be more open and natural(if that is possible, that may just be in my head). The whole package is very involving....maybe a bit more detail/seperation/better transitions as well.

I have heard a lot of bookshelve speakers of similar size and a wide range of costs. I would love to put these 170SE's next to any of them.

edit: The discs I have been listening to are:
    Ray Montford - Shed Your Skin
    Dave Matthews Band - Crash
    Peter Malick Group w/Norah Jones - Ner York City
    Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
    Dire Straights - Brothers In Arms (XRCD version)

It is not even 9:30pm. If anyone is in the area and wants to have a listen..let me know. It is the least I can do...I'm not going anywhere and I will probably be up late listening to these babies.
    -curtis

Curtis,

Do you plan on setting up an actual A/B between your 170 classic's and the new SE's? Maybe even against your 340's? I understand that time is short...just thought it might help illustrate the differences .

DaveF,

Would be cool if Curtis could get his paws on the 340se prototypes too so he can do a little preview for us. Eventually it would be nice if a set (or two) of 170se's and 340se's were sent out as demonstrators so we could do some comparisons against our own Classics in our own homes. We could post a security deposit and the shipping out, keep them for a week and then send them on to the next on the list. The cabinets wouldn't even have to be finished. Just a thought.

Randy

Randy,
    I doubt I will have time to do anything proper. I have to get ready for the weekend's festivities. Will do what I can.

I am listening some more right now, and this morning, what stands out to me are how sweet the highs are.

The biggest challenge I think these 170SE's face is the price. How do you get people to understand that the $348/pr price tag is NOT anywhere near indicative of their performance even for internet direct....even for Ascend.

I really wonder how the 340SE's sound.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    -curtis

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    In all the excitement about the SE's I almost forgot to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. HAPPY THANKSGIVING, YA'ALL!

I really wonder how the 340SE's sound.
    I'll let everyone one know at my earliest opportunity.

David