Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The CBM-170 Signature Edition (CBM-170SE)

Manufacturers play all sorts of games with how they "rate" the response of their loudspeakers. I REALLY wish there was a standard to this
    Giving this matter some thought, it occurs to me that the most informative way to specify axial response might be to choose the reference level based on the rated sensitivity, provide the -3dB lower and upper frequency limits, and give the maximum amount by which the response exceeds the reference level. There would also have to be a stipulation that the response did not fall below the -3dB level between the frequency extremes, of course.

Using these criteria, and the 89dB quoted sensitivity, the response of the CBM-170SE would be 58Hz - 22kHz +1dB/-3dB. This conveys the information that the speaker has both a very flat response, and good extension at the frequency extremes.

Just my 2¢...
    Last edited by GaryB; 12-28-2005 at 01:57 PM.

What about decay plots? (Just kidding : P)

Has anyone gotten an email yet about ordering the new Ascends? It's close to the first week of January and I'm getting skittish...like a Siberian Palamino (with Christopher Walken accent).

Glad to see the data to substantiate all the glowing description at the beginning of the thread!

Can't wait until bonus check time (Feb-Mar) to get a pair of these guys to audition! I'm anticipating getting 5 of these and an SVS PB-10 to round it out..

I'd love to hear from someone who's ordered!

~Josh

Just curious if the CBM-170 "classics" are still available for purchase. I've heard that after Dec 31st the SE's will have completely replaced the classics, so now i'm just looking for verification.

Thanks,

1st Cav

I think you can still purchase the classics through the website.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st cav
    Just curious if the CBM-170 "classics" are still available for purchase. I've heard that after Dec 31st the SE's will have completely replaced the classics, so now i'm just looking for verification.

Thanks,

1st Cav
    You should call them directly before Friday to make sure.
    -curtis

Hi 1st Cav,

1st Cav
    Yes... 170 classics will be available by special order only. Their price will remain the same, we do have b-stock available at a discount.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the quick responses gentlemen

Since i've never had any "real" speakers, I think that i'll just start with the "classics" and eventually work my way up to SE's after i've become a more experienced listener. Just to give insight on my current setup, im using a 5.1 Pioneer speaker system with an HK 135. Something tells me that no matter which speaker/package I choose, it will be head & shoulders above what I am currently running.

I've been trying to put together just the right package system for my room(house under construction - room = 20Lx16W) and had decided on CBM-170's all around (7.1). After reading numerous threads about the benefit of having the same speaker in every position I think i've finally decided that the 200's will give me as much enjoyment for surround duty as the 170's. If there is something else I should consider, please feel free to share.

Thanks again,

1st Cav

Thanks for the quick responses gentlemen

Since i've never had any "real" speakers, I think that i'll just start with the "classics" and eventually work my way up to SE's after i've become a more experienced listener. Just to give insight on my current setup, im using a 5.1 Pioneer speaker system with an HK 135. Something tells me that no matter which speaker/package I choose, it will be head & shoulders above what I am currently running.

I've been trying to put together just the right package system for my room(house under construction - room = 20Lx16W) and had decided on CBM-170's all around (7.1). After reading numerous threads about the benefit of having the same speaker in every position I think i've finally decided that the 200's will give me as much enjoyment for surround duty as the 170's. If there is something else I should consider, please feel free to share.

Thanks again,

1st Cav
    I'm sure the classics will be wonderful, but well, why would you not just spend the extra $20/pair to get the SEs?? Unless you're buying B stock of course. I mean that just seems a bit silly doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by einsteinjb
    I'm sure the classics will be wonderful, but well, why would you not just spend the extra $20/pair to get the SEs?? Unless you're buying B stock of course. I mean that just seems a bit silly doesn't it?

Well honestly, i'm already over budget according to my financial advisor (the wife ) and i've been trying to find different items to scale back on. Example: I was going to purchase an HK 435 but got a Panny XR-55 instead, so staying budget conscious is a priority right now. But now that I think about it, 30-40 bucks isn't going to make or break me, so,.. what the hell!(I hope you've got an available couch I can borrow Einsteinjb )

I think i'll check B-stock availability on the 170's and 200's then make a decision on whether or not to go Classic or Signature.....decisions....decisions.