Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The CBM-170 Signature Edition (CBM-170SE)

Quote Originally Posted by 1st cav
    Example: I was going to purchase an HK 435 but got a Panny XR-55 instead, so staying budget conscious is a priority right now.
    Try not to smile to much when you find out that the Panny is not just money saved but money well spent.

David

What is the weight of the new 170SE's? I'll be using them as rears and I need tall stands for them to be above my sectional. I just want to be sure I choose one that can handle the weight without being unstable.....

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kibe
    What is the weight of the new 170SE's? I'll be using them as rears and I need tall stands for them to be above my sectional. I just want to be sure I choose one that can handle the weight without being unstable.....

Kevin
    Dave said, wasn't it earlier in this very thread? that they're just a bit heavier than the classics, which aren't all that heavy.

I've got a set of B&W DM602 S2s on 31" Sanus Systems stands, which are MDF or some sort of fake wood, and they are quite solid. They're stupid cheap too, something like $34 at Amazon.com, and look fine especially for that price. (And they're available in any color you want, as long as it's black.) I believe they're the exact same stands SVS is now selling for their new SBS-01 systems, interestingly enough. If you haven't seen the 602s they're HUGE for bookshelf speakers and much heavier than the 170s, so if they're solid on these stands, they'd easily handle the 170s. I have one of them positioned entirely too close to a frequently used doorway and my poor old dad, who doesn't see very well, has bumped into it countless times and has yet to knock it over (fingers crossed).

The problem is they have to be higher than my sectional in one corner, which would be about 37 1/2". I was looking at some stands Curtis suggested http://www.racksandstands.com/VTI-BLE201-VI1050.html but they say they hold up to 15lbs and from the specs for the classics it appears they weigh 15lbs each? I noticed this pair which can easily handle the weight but they cost more http://www.racksandstands.com/VTI-BLE101-VI1051.html I'd love to find a lower cost alternative if there is one.....

Kevin

[QUOTE=bikeman]Try not to smile to much when you find out that the Panny is not just money saved but money well spent.

TOO LATE!

I've had the Panny for about 2 weeks now, and although i'm nowhere close to being an "audiophile" i'm VERY impressed by what i've heard thus far. For $230 shipped it's almost stupid not to at least audition. Very detailed, plenty of power, stays cool, and it makes my POS Pioneer speakers sound just a little better (well I can at least understand most dialogue now).

Anyone have an opinion on how 3 170 SE's would sound as my L,C,R? I've never had nor have I ever seen (in person) a setup such as this. But after reading, reading, and reading for over a year I consistently see threads encouraging the use of identical speakers, not only for the front but all around (ideal for multi-channel use). Just curious if most of you current Ascend owners agree with this.

Thanks again,

1st Cav

I have five 170's hooked up to an XR55 and it is a good combination. If I had to do it again I might get the smaller 200 series speakers for surrounds, just because they'd be easier to mount on the wall since they are sealed cabinets. You really can't beat the sound quality of the XR55 with an analog receiver costing less than 2x-3x the Panasonic's price. I replaced an HK-7200 - I needed a cheap stand by while the HK was in service, so I figured I'd try the Pan and see what all the fuss was about. I liked the XR55 a lot, after I got the 7200 back and made some comparisons the Panasonic stayed in the system. They are both great receivers, but when you consider one cost $230 and the other close to $1000 you know one of them is a super deal.

Talking Re: The CBM-170 Signature Edition (CBM-170SE)

planning to drop off one of my 170s this wknd hopefully just a minor repair .... Dave replied to my e-mail so quick!!