Thread: Center Channel

Default Center Channel

My center speaker (an NHT SuperCenter) has gone out for some reason, and I am looking for a replacement. I am considering the Sierra-1 Center, CMT-340 SEC or the Outlaw. I use the Outlaw 1070, and have NHT SuperTwos for FR/FL/BR/BL. My plan is to purchase center in the near term, and then add the surrounds cometime later this year. I may add a sub, but have found the bass in the SuperTwo towers to be sufficient for my room. If I get surrounds, I would probably match them to the center or possibly look at bipoles? I'm not certain. At any rate, I would like a recommendation on centers. I would be willing to spring the extra money for a high quality center that doesn't suck-in the sound stage given my setup. (I don't know if that makes sense.)

Default Re: Center Channel

The Sierras seem like the best choice here. You're likely to 'want' a sub if you go with the 'SEs, as your current floorstanders do an admirable job with bass. Question is, will your space allow for one? A trio of Sierras for your L/C/R channels should be more than satisfying.
    Last edited by placebo473; 06-22-2009 at 12:03 PM.

I'd look for another SuperCenter on the used market or look into get yours repaired.
    -curtis

did you swap the speaker with another to make sure it's the speaker and not the receiver that has a problem?

Thank you for the replies. Yes, it is the center channel; I think it is something within the speaker, as there is no other apparent defect.

I actually started to dislike the SuperCenter over time. It seemed as though it slowly developed a greater problem with sibilance over the years -- female vocals were impossible after a time -- so this is why I was looking at other center channels. I was aware of Ascend from word of mouth, so it was top of list. But it may be difficult to match the tonal qualities of the SuperTwos with another company's speakers, so perhaps repair is the best option. It's been about 9 years; as unrealistic as it may sound, I had hoped the speaker would last twice that. Thing is, my dealer went out of business a few years ago. I'll have to contact NHT directly.

Thank you again for help.