Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omni Mount & 170 SE - Need feedback

Default Omni Mount & 170 SE - Need feedback

Hi All:

I have four 170 SE's wall mounted on the omni mount brackets (rated for 20lbs each) but all four sag down from the weight but thankfully towards the listening area. Should I worry about this falling on someone's head? They are by the way tightened down real hard. I was just wondering if the modified design of the SE caused them to exceed the omni-mount spec. although they are only around 15lbs. Please comment if I should take any precautionary measures and if so how. Thanks,

Rajiv

Rajiv - I've had mine mounted for over a year now. They are supposed to sag toward the listening area - it's how it is designed. Usually, wall mounted speakers are mounted above the listening area. In the year + I've had them, the sag has never increased. Though they are not the SE's, the weight is about 15lbs as well for the original 170's, so it shouldn't be an issue.

so if you want them just straight then you have to set them above desired position slightly so when they sag they sag to the straight position instead of down ? i only ask because i was thinking using these when i get my 170se 's across the front but i wont be wanting them to point down ( sag ) much if any.

I was just looking at the Omni Mounts ST pro line

http://www.omnimountpro.com/product.asp?p=179

Looks like they have some beefy mounts there, Ascend should put mounting holes on there 340s that would work with them. I'd be real temped to be putting 340's accross front if i could wall mount them easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles D
    Looks like they have some beefy mounts there, Ascend should put mounting holes on there 340s that would work with them. I'd be real temped to be putting 340's accross front if i could wall mount them easily.
    I totally agree with this. I love the flexibility wall mounting gives me. The 340s should have mounting holes built in. (I'll just drill holes in them if needed, no big deal)

Check out these THX speakers from M&K, they have a nice array of mounting holes on the back. I was thinking of trying some out (they cost about the same as 340s) but I've heard THX speakers don't do well with music? http://www.mksound.com/lcr750thx.htm

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
    I totally agree with this. I love the flexibility wall mounting gives me. The 340s should have mounting holes built in. (I'll just drill holes in them if needed, no big deal)
    This would be a good idea if everyone who wanted to wall mount something as large and heavy as a 340 knew what they were doing but that isn't realistic. Ascend would be hearing from some very unhappy customers who just damaged or destroyed not only their speakers but their walls and who knows what else that the falling speaker took with it. I can imagine some serious liability issues if a small child were involved in the carnage.
    I think your solution is the best one. Drill your own holes and save Ascend from "lawyer hell."

David

S_rangeBrew .....

I have not owned M&K ( cant afford them ) but i have always been a fan of them. I've also done alot of reading about them etc. the "I've heard they are not good for music" always makes me laugh. There specialty from what it appears is studio monitors. i'd be suprised if they sounded very bad with music. i would guess it depends what you are used to (and what you like) . also i didn't check there price but from what i remember there priceing is each not for pair. I would think that the Ascends would be a better value. I have also read from people that have listened to both side by side that the Ascends actually sound quite simalar to the higher end M&K's.

bikeman ....

I respect you're opinion in all the reading i have done on this site. but i have to disagree with you on this one. ( no affense intended and i dont want to start an argument ) Isn't that what disclaimers and proper instructions for mounting are for ?? i have seen some pretty large tv's mounted on wall mounts and even one type of wall mount that dave has recemended for using with the 340 center I find it hard to believe that it would take much more skill to wall mount a 340 properly that it would a 170. yea the 170 is a little lighter but if you don't get the screws into a stud or the like I bet it would fall just the same. sheetrock doesn't hold much. (again this is not a flame or me trying start something, just my opinion)

as far as drilling holes in the 340 for mounting them i would think you would want to add some reinforcement on the inside (i think there 5/8 mdf) and also use (not sure technical name ) steal thread inserts and some grade 8 bolts and make sure the mount you would use is overated for the speaker weight. usually better to overbuild something. deff would not want to just put wood screws in there as it prob would chuck itself off the wall at some point also i would want to make sure this didnt void the warranty. I might email ascend directly about this, since if i can come up with the money, I may try this myself at some point. If you didnt need to angle the speaker up or down ( for a vertically mounted one ) you could even use a double mounting system for extra strength.

boy this post is way longer then i was intending , sorry

cheers

S_rangeBrew .....

I have not owned M&K ( cant afford them ) but i have always been a fan of them. I've also done alot of reading about them etc. the "I've heard they are not good for music" always makes me laugh. There specialty from what it appears is studio monitors. i'd be suprised if they sounded very bad with music. i would guess it depends what you are used to (and what you like) . also i didn't check there price but from what i remember there priceing is each not for pair. I would think that the Ascends would be a better value. I have also read from people that have listened to both side by side that the Ascends actually sound quite simalar to the higher end M&K's.
    It didn't really make sense to me either, but that's what some have said. I'm pretty sure THX speakers are required to roll off at 80hz, so there is a really steep x-over slope to the subwoofer. They are not full-range like the 340s. They are also sealed, which can opens up some mounting options.
    As far as price goes, I was looking at the refurbed ones on their website, which actually cost a little less than 340s. I just happened to be looking for some THX Select speakers, and those were the only ones I found in my price range.
    I think DavidF worked at M&K at one point?

as far as drilling holes in the 340 for mounting them i would think you would want to add some reinforcement on the inside (i think there 5/8 mdf) and also use (not sure technical name ) steal thread inserts and some grade 8 bolts and make sure the mount you would use is overated for the speaker weight. usually better to overbuild something. deff would not want to just put wood screws in there as it prob would chuck itself off the wall at some point also i would want to make sure this didnt void the warranty. I might email ascend directly about this, since if i can come up with the money, I may try this myself at some point.
    After taking a look at the options out there, I agree I'd rather not worry about the problems drilling into the case may cause. So I'll probably go with somethink like this. A lot stronger, and no damage. My walls will be black anyway, so the visible brackets won't really be... visible.

The B-Tech Bt77 mounts are awesome!! I recommend you get them

ahhh man , now look what you've done ... now I'm being tempted by the 340se's

are you using this mount with the 340's ? i was under the impression that they required more room behind them because of the port. ? if this will work fine , maybe i will have to save a little longer and go that route. I prob could get over being able to see the mounts.

ahhh man , now look what you've done ... now I'm being tempted by the 340se's

are you using this mount with the 340's ? i was under the impression that they required more room behind them because of the port. ? if this will work fine , maybe i will have to save a little longer and go that route. I prob could get over being able to see the mounts.
    No, I am currently using a pair of JBL E30's which will soon be replaced by 170SE's (can't wait!) Anyway, I tried the Omnimount 20.0 and found that they sucked!! I got the BT77's and were very happy. Dave F. said that he recommends at least 6" from the wall for the 340's, so I am not sure if they will work to their fullest capacity. But, if you are using, say, 80hz X-over and setting them to "small" the ports will not be working very much anyway. I will be using these mounts for my 170SE's when they get here.