Thread: Considering Ascend SE line, help!

Question Considering Ascend SE line, help!

Howdy.....please help if you can. I am considering upgrading my speakers to the following: 170se's for L/R mains, 340se for center and 200's for surrounds. I currently have JBL "Northridge" E30's for mains, EC35 for center and a pair of Velodyne CT-41 satelite's for surrounds. I am for the most part very happy with my current set up, but am feeling the bite from the upgrade bug again!! If I do decide to upgrade, I have pretty much decided on the Ascends. Have some questions tho

1. Are the 170's sensitive to placement or are they pretty forgiving (off axis)?
    2. Will the 200's still be considered a timbre match with the SE line?
    3. How much of a difference do you think I will notice between the Ascends and my current set up?

I can't help but think I am missing something with the JBL's and that something will be heard with the Ascends. Also, I plan on using a Pioneer VSX-1014tx receiver and may dump my Velodyne CHT-10 sub for a SVS PB10 sub.

Thanx Gov

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    2. Will the 200's still be considered a timbre match with the SE line?
    3. How much of a difference do you think I will notice between the Ascends and my current set up?
    2. Yes. Although when I called Ascend they suggested that I spend the extra $25 or so to get 170s instead of HTMs, since the sound is that much better. I get the feeling that the HTMs have been developed and marketed to target those small satellite speakers that come with the HTBOX systems - and where space and mounting issues are of concern. The HTM is a small, light speaker that can be mounted directly to the wall, whereas the 170 is a bit bigger, a bit heavier, and has a rear port that needs a few inches of clearance. So, if you have the space and $, go for the 170s, but if space is tight, the HTM will prove to be an excellent choice.

3. I'm anxious to see myself, but from what I've read....Night and Day. You won't be disappointed, methinks.

Have you considered HSU SWs? Good words about them and Great complement to the Ascend lines.

Ya.....space is an issue, that is why I am leaning towards the HTM's. I have considered HSU, but the SVS PB10 sounds like the king of all 10" box Subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    Ya.....space is an issue, that is why I am leaning towards the HTM's. I have considered HSU, but the SVS PB10 sounds like the king of all 10" box Subs.
    I own an SVS PB10-ISD and a Hsu VTF-2 Mk2. They're both AMAZING subwoofers for their price range, extremely musical and clean, very accurate, and will rock your house. However, I have to say the PB10 is the better sub, though it's much bigger so you'll need to measure the space where it'll live and make sure it'll fit (if space is limited). It has greater output and deeper extension, and it's $69 less than the VTF-2 Mk2. I got a deal on the piano black Hsu and it's gorgeous and sounds fantastic and I love it in the small room where I'm using it, but for HT I definitely prefer the SVS. For $399 you could go for the Hsu STF-2 and I'm sure you'd like it but again, it has even less power than the VTF. It's all about your budget and available space in your room. I chose the Hsu for my 2.1 system in my small mixing room because of space and the speaker level connections and crossover, which the PB10 doesn't have.

Edit: Wanted to clarify, I'm referring only to the Hsu Mk2 versions, not the new HOs. I haven't really checked the price or specs on those, so definitely check them before you make your decision. I'm sure they have the same amazing sound but with more output and I think extension as well.
    Last edited by einsteinjb; 01-12-2006 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Additional info

I ordered a Mirage Omni S12 sub today to go with my soon to be purchases pair of 170se's, 340Cse and pair of 200's.

Is anyone using the Omnimount 20.0 ceiling mount for their 200's?

Yeah!!! I placed my order today for a pair of 170SE's, 340C SE and a pair of b-stock 200's!! I can't wait to get them. I was told up to two weeks before they will be shipped, due to the waiting list for SE shipping. I will say so far their customer service is awesome!! Now the wait ...............................

I received my b-stock 200's today! They will be doing surround duty, but I hooked them up in place of my JBL e30's just to compare. After listening to few different familiar tracks, we both decided that the 200's sounded better than the E30's!! About the only thing the E30's did better was in the bass department. This doesn't shock me since the E30's are reated down to 50hz, have a 6" woofer, and are twice the size. But those 200's, DAMN, I am impressed! My wifes ears are very sensitive to tinny or harshness, so she immediately preferred the 200's and said they sounded clear and detailed. I am not saying that the E30's are very harsh, but listening to the 200's right after the E30's, you notice how much better things can sound. Next week my 170SE's and 340SE center are going to ship and I cannot wait to complete the package!!