Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New models!!! CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE

Are you being serious? If so, why those receivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    Are you being serious?
    Occasionally, but I try to avoid it.

If so, why those receivers?
    I thought the answered that question. Guess not.

David

seriously, i'd like to know what electronics are used in developing/testing the ascend speakers, too. most of the "entry level" AV equipment seems to have horrendous sound quality, so it would be nice to know what supposedly sounds best with ascend. i notice a lot of harman kardon stuff on the products page, is that what dave mostly uses, HK?

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Occasionally, but I try to avoid it.

David
    Haha. I didn't think so, but wanted to make sure.

The only reason I thought that you could have been serious is that the Ascends probably sound good with almost any receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by starcycle
    seriously, i'd like to know what electronics are used in developing/testing the ascend speakers, too.
    To my understanding, it isn't consumer grade electronics, but true engineering equipment.....just like any electronics engineer might use....signal generators, occilliscopes, etc., and he has mentioned before at least some of the stuff he uses to take measurements.

The fact that they are designed not to be hard on amplification is the reason they sound good with many types of receivers/amplifiers.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by starcycle
    most of the "entry level" AV equipment seems to have horrendous sound quality,
    Interesting. What would you consider "entry level?"

David

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    To my understanding, it isn't consumer grade electronics, but true engineering equipment.....just like any electronics engineer might use....signal generators, occilliscopes, etc., and he has mentioned before at least some of the stuff he uses to take measurements.

The fact that they are designed not to be hard on amplification is the reason they sound good with many types of receivers/amplifiers.
    Even so, I would imagine he tested with consumer grade electronics in order to find the sound quality he was looking for via music CDs and so forth.

Interesting. What would you consider "entry level?"

David
    anything i've heard in the $0-500 range so far, including onkyo, pioneer, yamaha, and panasonic. on its own, the panasonic (xr-55) sounded the best of the bunch, but even that wasn't stellar. barely listenable, i would say, maybe okay just for movies. i shelled out $100 more for a yamaha with pre-outs, just so i could run it through a 2-channel receiver and get acceptable sound. on its own, it's completely unlistenable, like the other budget receivers -- thin, flat, harsh "cardboard" kind of sound. i can't imagine any of the other brands in that price range sound much better. i haven't heard anything in higher ranges yet, but based on what i have heard, i'd guess you'd have to go to $800-1000 minimum to get any decent SQ with integrated A/V receivers, if it's possible at all without using good amps or going all separates.
    Last edited by starcycle; 04-18-2006 at 08:46 AM.

Even so, I would imagine he tested with consumer grade electronics in order to find the sound quality he was looking for via music CDs and so forth.
    right, that's more of what i was wondering.

David
    LOL I thought you *were* serious too...esp. seeing how I've heard that Dr. Hsu uses a cheap Onkyo receiver with his subs.