Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New models!!! CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I think the crossovers need to be changed to match the new capabilities of the drivers.....just a hunch.
    Curtis,

You might be right since David said the new ones are significantly better than the old ones. which means the crossover would have to be different.

Quote from David
    "I want to make something clear so there is no confusion here… Both the CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE models are technically more advanced then their predecessors."

I take it that "advanced" means upgrades to drivers and crossovers.

I didn't see any mention of crossover modifications, but I suppose they would need to be "adjusted" for the new drivers.

I spoke with James briefly, and about the only thing he could tell me was that those looking to have the upgrade will have to ship the speakers to Ascend, and it will not be a customer installed modification.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Considering the new tweeter doesn't look like it would fit in the existing hole, I don't see any way this could be a customer installed upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Considering the new tweeter doesn't look like it would fit in the existing hole, I don't see any way this could be a customer installed upgrade.
    I must respectfully disagree

It looks like the faceplate shape and hole locations remained the same as the original tweeter. If anything, the fact that the magnet/motor structure has changed(i.e. size increase) may necessitate enlarging the opening where these parts would need to clear.

I just wanna know how much it's gonna cost me
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I have only heard the original 170's once, and have been searching for the "great" speaker. I have been through many auditions and have had many speakers in my home. I keep coming back to how well the Ascends sound. Now, if there were any questions before, its a done deal.
    I can not wait!!!!!

Any ideas on how the upgrade will affect the lower range of the 170's? According to the announcement, the new 340's have the same or similar upgraded woofer while also lowering the "port tune of the cabinet" by about 10Hz. That seems to me to mean that the 340's will play 10 Hz lower. What about the 170's?

Man, this is exciting for those of us that have been on the fence, waiting for wife approval, and bickering about costs due to limited budgets. So many different scenarios might play out here. The end seems near. Somehow or another I will own Ascends.

New cabinets or available finishes?

Question any specs available?

DaveF,

Congrats on the achievement - it's probably the best Thanksgiving/Christmas
    present for yourself and for we Ascend owners or owner-to-be's.

BTW, are there any specs available? Another question, there's mentioning of
    new drivers (tweeter & woofer) but no words of cabinets - can we assume
    that the SEs will use the same cabinets?

Any words on the HTM-200 this time?

Hi Guys...

Plesae be patient with me... as you can imagine.. I have a few HUNDRED emails to get to and the phones are ringing non-stop...

I PROMISE I will get to every email, every forum question, and every private message...

A few quick answers...

Both the CBM-170 and CMT-340 SE use slightly different crossovers.

CBM-170 and CMT-340 classics will still be available for a short while.

I spent a fortune on tooling the tweeter faceplate for the CBM-170 SE.. it fits perfectly. There is absolutely no change to the CBM-170 cabinet.

The 340 SE tweeter is slightly larger and due to the lower port tune, the cabinet on the 340 has changed (just the tweeter cutout and the port tube).

And most importantly...

Under no circumstances would I leave my own customers out in the dark... These upgrades are for you, and you only... My way of saying Thanks to all of you. Details on upgrades have not been fully worked out yet... but I assure you that it is being worked on and we will do our best to accommodate all of you fairly.. Just give me some time

In the coming weeks, I will be posting measurements and more info...

I will be back soon....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that the tweeter for the 170 will be the same form factor. I was confused since the 170 SE post wasn't up yet when I first read this. I didn't want to give up my precious cabinets. Of course, one of these days I'll have to get 340s up front.