Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: New models!!! CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE

Quote Originally Posted by starcycle
    anything i've heard in the $0-500 range so far, including onkyo, pioneer, yamaha, and panasonic. on its own, the panasonic (xr-55) sounded the best of the bunch, but even that wasn't stellar. barely listenable, i would say, maybe okay just for movies.
    I agree on the $0-500 range of analog receivers, but would differ on the xr55. It easily outpowered and outclassed my NAD separates.

Of course we all have different ears, and the Panny can sound infamously bad with certain speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Of course we all have different ears
    Very true but sound is processed in our brains and that's where there are even greater differences. Why some folks believe all the differences can be found in the hardware is puzzling to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    the Panny can sound infamously bad with certain speakers.
    Probably but I haven't found any speakers that sound bad with the Panny but not my other receivers. What decent speakers sound bad with the Panny?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    Even so, I would imagine he tested with consumer grade electronics in order to find the sound quality he was looking for via music CDs and so forth.
    IMO, I think electronics make some difference, but not enough to warrant changes in his design. Engineering something is much more exact. He has said before that he trusts his measurements more than his hearing.

Now if you as asking what he uses at home.....I think that is a different question.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    IMO, I think electronics make some difference, but not enough to warrant changes in his design. Engineering something is much more exact. He has said before that he trusts his measurements more than his hearing.

Now if you as asking what he uses at home.....I think that is a different question.

OK, I will ask the question. What does David F. use at home? I think that the amp/preamp can make a huge difference. Just ask the owners of tube systems, for instance. I suppose if someone has ears of stone they might not be able to discern SQ variations in the electronics or if the the speakers are not of sufficient quality that the SQ between amp/preamps might be masked. Of course, we know that the Ascends are excellent speakers but the choice of what to power them with should not be just a random pick from all the amp/preamp. that are available.

I think that the amp/preamp can make a huge difference. Just ask the owners of tube systems, for instance. I suppose if someone has ears of stone they might not be able to discern SQ variations in the electronics...
    I think I'm going to sit this one out...

Tubes vs. solid state definitely makes a difference. I also think there are differences between solid state amplifiers.....just not a whole lot, especially of similar quality.

It would be smart to make the speakers sound "good" with a wide range of electronics rather than specific ones. It can get pretty subjective, but since DaveF seems to trust objective measurements more, I'm not sure he would mess with consumer grade stuff when designing. Then, as a consumer, you can tailor your electronics to your preferences.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    I think I'm going to sit this one out...
    Chicken!
    -curtis

Talking

Curtis, surely you must know what is David F's reference system. Do you need it to be declassified before exposing it to the public? How about a leak?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Chicken!
    Just old and tired, Curtis. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    Curtis, surely you must know what is David F's reference system. Do you need it to be declassified before exposing it to the public? How about a leak?
    Yes..I have asked him, but I am not going to post it.....it is his business.

I will say one thing, when he told me, I had never even heard of the brand of amp before.
    -curtis