Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New models!!! CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post New models!!! CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE

I know many of you have been trying to figure out exactly what I have been working on

Well.... here you go

When I released the CBM-170 back in February 2000 my goal was to introduce a loudspeaker that broke new ground within the industry... something quite unique and never before seen at these price points. A loudspeaker that met and even surpassed many of the standards used for designing some of the most renowned loudspeakers available at any price…

I labored tirelessly 5-7 days a week for over a year and often working 12 hours or more per day. I sampled hundreds of woofers and tweeters, threw out more completed designs than I care to remember. Finally I felt I got it just right… every measurement I took confirmed what I heard, this speaker will favorably compete with just about any loudspeaker out there for the bandwidth it was designed to reproduce.

The components used and the design of the crossover were expensive and I simply refused to compromise on performance. In order to keep this level of performance and maintain the sub $400/pr price point, I had to compromise on the finish and sell it direct. My supporters thought I was crazy, the speaker “has to look like furniture”…Why? Why must it look like furniture? The electronics don’t, the television does not and they all seem to casually blend into the room. Shouldn’t the loudspeaker blend into the room as well? ... And of course, the common question “Who would ever purchase a loudspeaker without listening to it first?”… We proved that question wrong and I guess we can say the rest is history…

The CBM-170 has been taken apart piece by piece, closely scrutinized and evaluated by nearly everyone… Without question, the performance standard for an affordable bookshelf monitor.

Most loudspeakers on the market are replaced by new models at least every 2 years… The CBM-170 has not seen a single performance modification since its introduction 6 years ago.. Truly remarkable..

Even after all these years, our many competitors are still trying to catch up. I am 100% committed to maintaining that lead and I am pleased to announce something I have been working on for almost 2 years now…

Advanced technological improvements for our woofers and tweeters + enhanced engineering capability (thanks to our improved on-site audio lab) = ground breaking and standard setting performance, once again!!!

our new lab

I am pleased to announce the new CBM-170 and CMT-340 Signature Editions…..

Please read the below descriptions for each new product..…
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Cool, and unexpected, news Dave. I'll have to check these new versions out sometime.

Here's to more years of good sound.

Hey Brad...

Thanks... You are up early

Send me an email when you have some free time....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

David

Default Sorry dumb question from a newbie

So does that mean that 170 and 340 will all be SE's or does that mean that there is a choice between the CBM-170 vs. CBM-170 SE?

When can the SE models be ordered?

Thanks
    -m

Looks like the bar has been raised again!

Congrats Dave! I know you work hard at your craft....your products show it, and I am quite sure the new products will follow suit.

Of course, I need to listen to them first.
    -curtis

New cabinets or available finishes?

Hi Guys...

Plesae be patient with me... as you can imagine.. I have a few HUNDRED emails to get to and the phones are ringing non-stop...

I PROMISE I will get to every email, every forum question, and every private message...

A few quick answers...

Both the CBM-170 and CMT-340 SE use slightly different crossovers.

CBM-170 and CMT-340 classics will still be available for a short while.

I spent a fortune on tooling the tweeter faceplate for the CBM-170 SE.. it fits perfectly. There is absolutely no change to the CBM-170 cabinet.

The 340 SE tweeter is slightly larger and due to the lower port tune, the cabinet on the 340 has changed (just the tweeter cutout and the port tube).

And most importantly...

Under no circumstances would I leave my own customers out in the dark... These upgrades are for you, and you only... My way of saying Thanks to all of you. Details on upgrades have not been fully worked out yet... but I assure you that it is being worked on and we will do our best to accommodate all of you fairly.. Just give me some time

In the coming weeks, I will be posting measurements and more info...

I will be back soon....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear that the tweeter for the 170 will be the same form factor. I was confused since the 170 SE post wasn't up yet when I first read this. I didn't want to give up my precious cabinets. Of course, one of these days I'll have to get 340s up front.

Congrats Dave!!! I can tell by the enthusiasm of your announcement that the SE's are something you are really proud of. It's hard to believe that the 170's and 340's could possibly be improved upon. I am EXTREMELY anxious to hear the details of the upgrade program...I gotta hear these for sure! Maybe a trade-in program??

I am (once again) impressed by the level of research and development that DaveF put into his new SE line. I'll bet SEAS was ready to eat worms from all your tweeter rejections!! Your efforts are proof that Ascend chooses not to be the "flavor of the month" club but proof that you are willing to expend SERIOUS blood, sweat and tears to deliver only high quality/high value products. Kudos to Ascend!

Randy