Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New models!!! CBM-170 SE and CMT-340 SE

Congrats Dave!!! I can tell by the enthusiasm of your announcement that the SE's are something you are really proud of. It's hard to believe that the 170's and 340's could possibly be improved upon. I am EXTREMELY anxious to hear the details of the upgrade program...I gotta hear these for sure! Maybe a trade-in program??

I am (once again) impressed by the level of research and development that DaveF put into his new SE line. I'll bet SEAS was ready to eat worms from all your tweeter rejections!! Your efforts are proof that Ascend chooses not to be the "flavor of the month" club but proof that you are willing to expend SERIOUS blood, sweat and tears to deliver only high quality/high value products. Kudos to Ascend!

Randy

Will the 340 SEs fit the current 340 stands?

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Will the 340 SEs fit the current 340 stands?
    I think so BGHD. In his last post DaveF said only the tweeter cutout and port tube will change.

Randy

Thanks. So, for both 170 & 340, about the same looks but better performance. BTW, great strategy to keep previous owners in the upgrade loop. Anxiously awaiting more info on upgrade options.
    Last edited by BGHD; 11-23-2005 at 04:11 PM.

Default Fantastic!

Great news Dave! I can only imagine how good it feels to sit back and finally get a project like this completed I offer serious congratulations. And thank you very much for keeping your previous customers "in-the-loop" with an upgrade program - very classy and very appreciated.

Now, I'm glad I haven't finished buying all of my speakers yet - I can put the classics in the rear and get SE's for the front (if these new SE's sound good of course ).

I can't wait to hear them.
    Jon O.

Dave,

This is truly exciting news and I'm anxious to learn of the upgrade program. I continue to be amazed at the 170 and 340 clarity and home theater experience they provide. I'm definitely interested in the upgrade when available and look forward to what the "Master" has in store for all us ascendians....

Bill
    Greetings from Central Florida!

So it looks like the 170s can be a user upgrade, but the 340s will require some cabinet reworking.

How about the HTM-200s? Even though they use the same tweeter as the 170s, the faceplate is different... I'm assuming David has not got around to getting that machined yet, is all.

Dave G Guest

Will the sensitivity figures for the SE versions of the 170 and 340 be any different than for the originals? One of the many things I like about the 340s is that they are fairly efficient (92 dB in room). My apologies if I missed where Dave F addressed this in his excellent discussions of the new speakers.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for how an idiot like me who tossed the shipping boxes for his 340s might go about shipping them back to Ascend for the SE upgrade? Pay Ascend to ship me a set of replacement shipping boxes? Pay a local shipment handling place like Mailboxes, Etc. to package them up? This is obviously not a pressing issue, but I'd appreciate any advice the group might have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
    So it looks like the 170s can be a user upgrade, but the 340s will require some cabinet reworking.
    I believe it is posted somewhere that there is crossover change as well, so the 170's would need to be sent in as well.
    -curtis

It's just mindboggling that Dave and Ascend would offer an upgrade path. Think about it for a minute: what other electronics business upgrades hardware?

Pegleg