Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stands for 340s

Default stands for 340s

Is 24'' the recommended height for stands for 340s? (as this is the height of the TP-24s sold here) Or does it depend on your seating position in the room?

The optimum height is what puts the tweeter at or about ear level in relation to your listening position.

A 24" stand puts the tweeter at about 34.5", which I think is a good height for all sizes of people.

Myself, I had to go with higher stands because of my furniture, otherwise, the Ascend stands would have been just about perfect.
    -curtis

How wide and deep do the top 'plates' (that hold the speakers) have to be for 340s and/or 170s?

Quote Originally Posted by MrTomasulo
    How wide and deep do the top 'plates' (that hold the speakers) have to be for 340s and/or 170s?
    Should be OK as long as both the width and depth are smaller than the
    spec'ed W&D. See speaker spec for dimensions.

MrTomasulo, you thinking of building some? I built these:
    http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot...ppuser/7456874
    for real cheap - pretty easy too.

Quote Originally Posted by lei@forum
    Should be OK as long as both the width and depth are smaller than the
    spec'ed W&D. See speaker spec for dimensions.
    As long as they're smaller or as long as they're bigger? The ones I wanted were only 5.5 x 5.5.

Steve--those are some excellent stands. I don't have the know-how to do that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTomasulo
    As long as they're smaller or as long as they're bigger? The ones I wanted were only 5.5 x 5.5.

Steve--those are some excellent stands. I don't have the know-how to do that, though.
    Can anyone clarify this? I would think the plate would need to be bigger than the speaker base, is that right?

you do not want the base to extend forward past the bottom of the speaker. It could cause unwanted reflections....you may not hear it though, and then again, you may.

As long as the platform is stable and you are comfortable with it is all that matters.
    -curtis

You also want the top to be smaller because it wouldn't look right if it were bigger. You don't want to see any of the top overhang the bottom of the speaker. The dimensions I used for my top were 1" smaller than width and depth of the 340s. I got the 340s in today, and while the stands look great and do their job, it would have looked even better had I gone 2" smaller on width and depth.

On the base though, go as big as you want - the more stability the better.

I think we are going to cause some terminology confusion.

When Steve says "base" he is referring to the bottom of the stand on the floor. When I said "base" I meant the portion the speaker sits on....what Steve refers to as the "top".
    -curtis