Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Funny" thread on AVS re: Ascends

Default "Funny" thread on AVS re: Ascends

Most of the regulars from this forum have chimed in there, so perhaps this is a bit redundant, but just in case any of you might have missed it there's a very interesting thread going on at AVS in which the poster auditions a number of different (more expensive) brands against the Ascend 340s.

You can find the thread here.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Boston VR3s will win out in the end, but if nothing else the thread reaffirms what AMAZING performance the 340s deliver at their price point.

I still think he should listen to both speakers in his home for a final trial on a decent amp (I think the panny would be fine, and easily returnable). That said, I have no problem with the Bostons winning; The Ascend shot down some very pricey competition.
    Jon O.

Thumbs up

Geez, you can at least mention me by name

340s held up great and equaled or bested everything I tried except for the VR3s - and I tried some that were 3x the cost of the 340s, so that does say a lot. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking for an accurate, detailed speaker with great imaging and a very pleasing sound.
    Last edited by SteveCallas; 11-19-2005 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCallas
    Geez, you can at least mention me by name
    Sorry, but initiates are forbidden to speak the name of He Who Would Sell His Ascends.

Yes Sensei.

Mr. Steve Callas, the Sash - I don't think thy highness would even listen to the humble suggestions from one such as me

Okay seriously, don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic review process you did. I enjoyed reading it very much. I just do feel it's too bad you can't keep the 340s around for a final comparo. Not saying they'd win, but, it's better to be sure "SURE" when you've been as complete with it all as you have. That said, when do the VR3's get in?
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    Sorry, but initiates are forbidden to speak the name of He Who Would Sell His Ascends.
    Wait!?! Initiates?! I have more posts than you

Okay, I don't know jack Btw, anyone remember that game? No? Didn't think so.
    Jon O.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I agree, and I'd love to be able to do that. Listening tests in my apartment with all of the speakers would have been the very best option, but I don't want to spend the money it would take to do that right now - I want the money back for the Ascends before I buy the Bostons. I probably won't have the VR3s in my possession for a while - leaving for home for Thanksgiving Tuesday, gotta ship the 340s back when I come back the week after Thanksgiving, need to let the package arrive at Ascend and get refunded, and then need to place the order for the VR3s. So my best guess is around Christmas time. And right after I get back from visiting home for Christmas and New Years, I'll probably pick up a Pioneer 1015.

And thanks for all the kind words and interest in my experiences - it would have been a dull thread with no replies I'm really looking forward to this beefy pro amp vs "hi end" amp comparison I'll be doing Tuesday - level matched and perhaps even blind testing.

I don't spend too much time at AVS but I did slip on over to read this one. I did enjoy the thread... nice job Steve! As far as sending back the Ascends...now that IS a sin! I guess at this point we should warn you of the Ascend Curse...for those that have listened and returned...both of your ears will grow shut and an additional eyeball will appear on the center of your head. If that's OK with you then it's OK with us.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    Wait!?! Initiates?! I have more posts than you
    Yes, but have you performed the Most Holy Rites of Brick and Mortar Oblution and become a sworn enemy of the Agents of Upgrade?

Default Most Holy

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    Yes, but have you performed the Most Holy Rites of Brick and Mortar Oblution and become a sworn enemy of the Agents of Upgrade?
    I was right in the middle of obluating when I accidentally ordered a 79avi. Crap. Seriously, how did that reciept get in my pocket?

I was slaying an Agent of Upgrade with my Rapier of Recalibration when I told Peter Marcks, "Hey Here's my mastercard, send one of those -3HO Turbos my way."

I am a failure.
    Jon O.