Thread: Ascend/Hsu or Axiom m60

Default Ascend/Hsu or Axiom m60

Beginner question: Why purchase the ascend/hsu combo if you could just purchase a set of Axiom m60's and have two floor standing speakers rather than three spearate units? Thanks.

Well...for starters, you would have to like the sound of the M60's first. The 340's and M60 do not sound alike.

Second, for HT use, and depending on the music you listen to, you would still want a subwoofer with the M60's.
    -curtis

Speakers are a matter of personal preference. If you go over to the Axiom board they're going to sing the praises of the M60. I was in the same boat as you and I wound up ordering both systems to do an A/B test (M60's vs. 340's and HSU VTF-2)

Unfotunately, the original post where I detailed this is no longer accessible here but I will outline the results. BTW, I only tested with music. The M60's were quite full and filled my 700 sq ft room nicely. I thought the bass was just right...not boomy like so many other floor standers. Before the 340s arrived I was impressed. Afer the 340s arrived the M60 didn't stand a chance. In the 340s the music seemed so detailed without the harshness I detected in the M60's...possibly because the M60's have metal tweeters. In recordings I listened to all my life the 340s brought out things I had never heard. I guess that means they are "accurate", I don't know. Also, the 340s don't induce listening fatigue which is a problem for me with any speaker I've had in my house including the M60. All I know is the 340s sounded better than the M60's by far and better than any speaker I had auditioned at stores up to $2k with Dynaudio and ProAc being the only competition.

The one up for the M60s is the bass. I never have been totally happy with the sub integration in my system even after setting levels with an SPL meter. I have some other things to try once I get out of an apartment so I am still hopeful it will work out. One nice thing about the 340s is that they go low enough where I don't feel as though I'm missing anything without running the sub. I listen to a lot of jazz so no biggie. If you're going to play a lot of rap or electronica the sub may be important.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, this helps. It’s clear you prefer the ascend sound. Regarding volume of sound, do you feel that the 340’s fill your room as nicely as the m60’s even though the ascend speaker is smaller? My initial/beginner thoughts were floorstanding speakers = big sound whereas bookshelf speakers = smaller sound.

Also, does the HSU sub add to the fullness/volume of the sound, in addition to providing low end? I would only use the speakers for music, and don’t need big, booming bass, though I would like adequate bass representation for the music.

Maybe someone else can chime in but I do think the sub adds to the perceived fullness of sound. So, the M60s did sound fuller vs. the 340s without the sub. If you can get good integration with the sub I think the 340's will sound as full as the M60s.

I have compared the two on a couple of occasions, and other than the M60 having more extension, I didn't perceive it has being fuller or more room filling than the 340.
    -curtis