Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie checking in needing a little advice

Default Newbie checking in needing a little advice

Just discovered the Ascend speakers and am very intrigued. Was going to go with a set of Athena Micra 6 speakers, but after reading the reviews on the Ascends I'm not sure what to do. Money isn't a HUGE factor now - I just want to get the most bang for my buck.

My situation:

Getting a HK AVR-240 receiver.

The room is a rectangle, 13.5 feet from the back to front wall (where the TV is) and 18 feet wide. Our couch will be about 1.5 to 2 feet off the rear wall.

We listen mostly to TV and DVD, but throw the occasional music CD in.

Given my parameters and listening style, what Ascend setup would you recommend? I hear great things about the 170s, but was wondering if perhaps I should go with 170s for the fronts and center (though if a 340 Center would give a marked increase in center channel performance for my room size, I'd consider it), some 200s for the surround (going to go 5.1, not 7.1, so I only need two surround speakers). The subwoofer is a tossup for me - don't know exactly what I need given the fact that we don't crank up the volume (close neighbors).

Would love to hear some advice - thanks!

To make sure I understand your setup. You are listening across the short direction of the room. Correct?

I would think the system you picked out should work well. I think the recommended center is the 340 when space allows. There are others here that would recommend matching speakers all around but most people don't have the placement options for that.

I really need to hook up my 170's in the front to see what the difference between them and my 340's are. Then maybe I could give more informed advice.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

OK, let me see if I can explain this properly - the sofa is against the long wall (18 foot), and the other long wall directly across from it is where the TV, stereo, and front and center speakers will be. Our listening position will be 8 feet from these items.

After doing some more research, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that a good setup would be this:

170s for the front left and right speakers.

A 340 Center speaker (I REALLY want a good center, as this seems to be the most important for movies, etc.) I'll be getting a 50" TV next year - currently have a 32" one.

For the surround speakers (rear), I think some 200s would be nice, due to my room size and budget.

One other question - if my speaker stands aren't setup for a good mounting from behind the Ascend speakers, is there any problem with using some small woodscrews to attach the speakers to the stands from the bottom? Would I be ruining the acoustics by doing that?

I think that sounds like a great setup for your room. Others have reported the 340C to blend very, very well with the 170s, and it is indeed a fantastic center.

Best to call and ask someone at Ascend directly (you'll probably get the designer/owner David himself on the phone, or his brother James), but screwing directly into the MDF should cause no audio degradation so long as you don't go all the way through. There's a copy of an email from David about this in the last post of this thread. Of course, it might void the warranty and will definitely lessen resale value, but if you're like most of us, reselling will be the last thing on your mind ;-)

(One other option would be to custom make some kind of metal or wood bracket that sits under the speakers and attaches to your stands while also reaching up to the screw posts on the back of the Ascends)
    Last edited by sensibull; 11-15-2005 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greywolf
    OK, let me see if I can explain this properly - the sofa is against the long wall (18 foot), and the other long wall directly across from it is where the TV, stereo, and front and center speakers will be. Our listening position will be 8 feet from these items.
    Very similar to my situation.

After doing some more research, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that a good setup would be this:
    170s for the front left and right speakers.
    A 340 Center speaker (I REALLY want a good center, as this seems to be the most important for movies, etc.) I'll be getting a 50" TV next year - currently have a 32" one.
    For the surround speakers (rear), I think some 200s would be nice, due to my room size and budget.
    After a lotta thought, I went with 340's accross the front but I'm sure the 170's will get the job done. Definitely get the 340C. It was originally designed to go with the 170's. The 340M's hadn't come along yet.
    I'm using the 200's as surrounds. You will not be disappointed. They integrate very well with my 340's. They have the same tweeter as the 170's. They also give us more placement options than the 170's and have a much higher WAF (at least at my house).

One other question - if my speaker stands aren't setup for a good mounting from behind the Ascend speakers, is there any problem with using some small woodscrews to attach the speakers to the stands from the bottom? Would I be ruining the acoustics by doing that?
    Bull has pretty well covered this. Let us know your impressions once you've got everything the way you like it.

David

OK, then - given my room dimensions, what HSU subwoofer should I get?

how high is the ceiling, and do you have any uncloseable openings into the room?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    how high is the ceiling, and do you have any uncloseable openings into the room?
    The ceiling is 7 feet high (odd, yes, but this is hurricane alley in FL and the older houses were built this way.)

I do have an unclosable opening that goes into the dining room - it measures about 9 feet across along the side wall.

OK, then - given my room dimensions, what HSU subwoofer should I get?
    Not including dining room, I calc'd about 1700 cuft. According to the system advisor, STF1 'should' work. Unless I was 1) positive I wasn't moving anytime soon or 2) if deep bass wasn't a huge concern or 3) space/WAF was tight, I'd get at least the STF2 or VTF2. If the dining room adds a lot more space (e.g. total >3000), system advisor recommends STF3/VTF3.

But...best advice I've received (here and in AVS) was to get as much as my budget allowed, so I ended up w/ a VTF3 in my approx 2500cuft room. No regrets.

I would get the biggest sub you can get.....that was the advice given to me, and I got a VTF-3....been very happy!

But for your room, I would think a "2" would be fine.
    -curtis