Thread: CBM-170 Center?

Default CBM-170 Center?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering what people think of using a CBM-170 as a center channel with CMT-340 mains.
    The problem is that I absolutely do not have room for a CMT-340c. I have a DLP television, so on top is out of the question, and the area underneath my TV is not wide enough for a CMT-340c even when I push my reciever and STBs as far out as I can.

So, would a CBM-170 work well as a center with CMT-340's as mains? I primarily use my HT for movies (loud movies).
    I am also planning on purchasing two CBM-107's with stands for L/R surrounds, hopefuly a CBM-170 (depending on the response here) center, and a VTF-3 MK 2 sub.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

I don't know that you could say that it would work "as well" but I don't see how it wouldn't work. It is a compromise solution but sometimes you need to make those. Everyone I have heard of that had 170's has been happy with them so I don't see why not. Since you said you like to listen loud there would be a disadvantage that the 170 is not as efficient as the 340.

I ordered some 170's as rear surrounds last week and the scheduled delivery time is on Friday. I could maybe chuck one of them in as a center for a quick comparison to my 340 center if you aren't in a hurry to order. This would basically give me the same setup you are talking about of 340 mains with a 170 center. It would be easy for me to do a quick comparison before I get them hooked up as rears. Let me know if you are interested.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

It is a compromise solution but sometimes you need to make those.
    I think you answered my question with that.
    I dont have room for a CMT-340, so the next best thing (I would like to keep it all Ascend) would be a CBM-170. There is not much I can do about it

Thanks for the offer to test things out for me. I am always apprehensive about spending so much money on stuff, so I always get nervous and questiony

Thank you for the reply!

Many of us 'old timers' used CBM-170 centers before the creation of the 340. It works well.