Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CBM-170s Or HTM-200s ?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD2
    . Are you talking about the shootout at craigsub's place?
    Yes. He had a speaker shootout planned for this weekend. I assumed from saying Erie that that is who is hosting this.

The speaker shootout is postponed....I am not sure of the reason, but I think it has something to do with not having all the speakers planned.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    The speaker shootout is postponed....I am not sure of the reason, but I think it has something to do with not having all the speakers planned.
    Thanks. I went and found the thread on AVS and learned as much.

Got a chance to briefly entertain Jeff and his son Nick yesterday afternoon. They were on their way to Erie, PA for the subwoofer shootout. Jeff is a class act and Nick appears to be a chip off the not so old block. Wish there would have been time to do more. We only got to demo a bit with the 340's. I'm pretty sure he liked em.
    Didn't get to demo the set-ups in my study and workout room but maybe next time. Someday we gotta have a GTG. February in a warm climate still gets my vote.

David

Default A Public Thank You For Bikeman

I want to publically thank David (Bikeman) in Syracuse for his gracious invitation to his home to demo the Ascend 340s. It was nice to see I'm not the only one with a challenging room . As some of you may know I've been quite busy over the weekend and under some time constraints. I do wish I could've spent more time with David as he a is true gentleman quite knowledgable in his audio gear.

My Impression of the 340s-
    I can now say with confidence that I truly know what superb detailing, excellant imaging and sound stage sounds like. David had offered to allow me my choice of music which typically would have been 70s-80s hard rock. While he was thumbing through his collection, I noticed Diana Krall Live in Paris. I said "whoa, let me get a taste of that!" I have read so much about this recording being of reference status, I just had to hear it. Well thank goodness we did. We played about 4 tracks from the album and both me and my son were captivated by the presence of the 340's. Every nuance of music from wire brush taps on cymbals, chimes, bongos, piano, upright bass, all of it, conveyed seamlessly and never seaming arrive directly from any particular speaker but from a general direction when the mix called upon it to do so. Even my hip-hop, rap loving son was completely impressed and actually quite satisified in our choice of sampling. He would later remark to me the 340s actually sounded as natural as when he attends his girlfriend's piano recitals, high praise indeed.

Being real macho men, it was time for some fun. Blowing up stuff and big explosions never gets old. David has a demo/calibration disc with a DTS track featuring a reknowned demolition crew blowing up buildings, parking garages, stadiums, you name it, all set to a really cool Tangerine Dream 5.1 mix accompanying it. Great stuff. I really did appreciate the lower range of the 340s compared to my HTM200s. David was also kind enough to offer to let me borrow the demo, and for that I'm very appreciative. It was funny today when we played the demo on my system. My son and I turned to each in other in unison and said "this sounded better at David's house".

Another thing that surprised me with the 340s their appearance. Their sleek narrow design appears to me to have a very high WAF. I commented to David that I think these would be an easy sell to my wife. Certainly easier than the 170s.

When upgrade time comes, I think I know whats gonna get the first hard look.

Once again, thank you David.
    Last edited by JeffD2; 11-21-2005 at 05:34 PM.

I really did appreciate the lower range of the 340s compared to my HTM200s. David was also kind enough to offer to let me borrow the demo, and for that I'm very appreciative. It was funny today when we played the demo on my system. My son and I turned to each in other in unison and said "this sounded better at David's house".
    Did it sound better at David's house because of the 340s or did he just have a better subwoofer? I would think with a 80hz x-over, the lack of sound below 80hz with the HTM-200s wouldn't be that noticeable.

I thought you had a pretty good (hole-free) frequency respose curve with your sub and HTM-200s? I do with mine, the only thing I notice is the booming of my Sony SAW-M40 12" subwoofer. It's not the ideal music sub. I guess that's why I'm wondering if David had a better subwoofer than you do.

Signed,
    HTM-200 fanboi.

I have an SVS PB10 and David a Dayton 10. Obviously I would have more LFE extension but our (me and my son) overall impression was David's system sounded better. I don't presume to speak for David, but my impression is that he uses his system almost exclusively for music and the Dayton for a touch more bump. Which BTW he appears to have integrated perfectly with the 340s.

I have an SVS PB10 and David a Dayton 10. Obviously I would have more LFE extension but our (me and my son) overall impression was David's system sounded better. I don't presume to speak for David, but my impression is that he uses his system almost exclusively for music and the Dayton for a touch more bump. Which BTW he appears to have integrated perfectly with the 340s.
    I wish I could have the Dayton "integrated perfectly with the 340's." I don't use the Dayton for music but Jeff mentioned that Nick was curious about the Dayton so I put it into the system for their visit.
    I have no explanation as to why the demo disk didn't sound better at Jeff's place. I figured Nick would invite a few hundred close friends to hear it before I got it back.
    The Dayton is truly a $100. wonder but it's not in the same league as a Hsu or SVS. Jeff and Nick were sitting in the prime LP and that could have something to do with it. I just can't explain it.

David

In overall performance, David's system was magnificent. The Dayton never called attention to itself but you knew it was there. I love that.

David, I'll be sending your disc back via UPS on Friday (I want blow up my parents on Thanksgiving), I'll email you the tracking number. Thanks, again.

TomK,

I sent you a private message.

Derek