Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CBM-170s Or HTM-200s ?

Default CBM-170s Or HTM-200s ?

I have on order a pair of CMT-340s and a Hsu STF-2 Sub. If they are half as good as reported I will go ahead and order a CMT Center speaker. Here is the question. Would the HTM-200s make decent surround speakers? My problem with the CBM-170s is the size. Anyone have an opinion?

Tom

This question comes up pretty regularly here and I think you'll find that most people agree that the HTM-200 makes an excellent surround. The situations where you see other recommendations is either if multichannel music (DVD-A or SACD) is big for you or if you have money to burn on 340s all around.

As usual, I concur with Brad. I have the 200's doing surround duty with my 340's accross the front and I'm very satisfied. I don't do multi-channel music so that wasn't a consideration. I also had speaker stands that fit the 200's but not the 170's so that saved me a chunk o' change on new stands. The smaller size also has a WAF that's hard to beat.
    Some of the regulars have both or have had both at some point Maybe they'll chime in.
    When I first got the 200's, I hooked them up in a two channel system to see how they performed on their own. With a sub like the Hsu STF-1 it would make for a very good low budget two channel system. As surrounds in a HT, the need for a lower octave is greatly (although not completely) diminished.

David

Concur w/ above. 200s are fine unless you're hardcore into SACD/DVDA. That said, while using 200s as side surrounds, they did a fine job w/ SACD/DVDA. Big plus of the 200s, can mount flush to wall and is quite a bit smaller than the 170.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'll be going with the 200s. You will probably laugh at this but I made cardboard boxes the size of the 170 and 200 to get an idea of what they would look like sticking out from the walls. There is a big difference. With a dedicated home theater room I would go with 170s or even the 340s for surround but not in the living room. I don't want to end up sleeping in the shed if you catch my drift.

Tom

I just went through the same decision but I fell to the dark side and got the CBM-170's. No reason other than "because."

I think if my wife was going to make me sleep in the shed it would have happened with the 32.5" tall waterheater/subwoofer in the living room.

I did let her pick the couch she wanted the other night though so I guess it is fair.

That's what I tell myself at least.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by TomK
    I don't want to end up sleeping in the shed if you catch my drift.
    Tom
    You get a shed? You were lucky. I only get a tarp.

David

I'm using HTM-200s in 2.1 system as mains, and they work well. When my house is ready in a few weeks, I'll be moving them into a new room and setting up a full 7.1 surround system.

I'm debating going with all HTM-200s, or using CBM-170s for the front 3 speakers. They will be wall mounted, vertically, at the same level above the television/screen.

I'll be using a 80hz crossover, which seems to work well in my current odd-shaped room. I'm thinking the only thing that would make me get 170s over 200s is if there was a hole in the response curve with the 200s that the 170s wouldn't have. Or unless somebody has noticed a big difference in sound quality between the 170s and 200s. I know the 200s play PLENTY loud enough, and they are better sounding than pretty much any other speaker I've tried. Anyone got any input?

I experimented a bit and found a crossover above 80hz worked better with the 200's in my situation. I've read that 80hz works great with the 170's.

David

As the owner of a full HTM200 5.1 system, I can vouch for the sound quality once calibrated and integrated with the sub. I use an 80Hz crossover and generally listen to Ozzy/ACDC type music. My system is in a living space and I spent many, many, hours and days, emails with Dave F, calibrations, moving furniture, etc. to get the system dialed in. In the end it was worth it. Having never heard the 170's but from what I have read, they might be less "labor intensive" with their greater range in the lower frequencies.

I would love to hear someone else's Ascend system. Anyone within 50 miles of Albany, New York?
    Last edited by JeffD2; 11-11-2005 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo