Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefit to placing weight on CBM-170s?

Default Benefit to placing weight on CBM-170s?

Well, a couple of months ago I listened to a pair of Monitor Audio Gold GR-10 bookshelves at my friend's brother's place. When we sat down to do our "critical" listening (heh), he placed a pair of weights ontop of the speakers.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about doing this. Is there much of a benefit in reducing cabinet resonance or something (???) when you add 10 or 20lbs of weight ontop of a CBM-170? Can it hurt anything? I remember seeing something about doing this with a SVS PB10-ISD to improve spectral decay or something, but that was awhile ago and only one review.

Any thoughts?
    Jon O.

Assuming you take care not to physically damage the speakers, I don't think it would hurt the sound quality at all. You'll have to be your own judge on whether it actually helps. I haven't tried it myself. I'm not sure if I trust my stands if I made them even more top-heavy. Someday I'll build/buy some more solid stands.

Damn. I put a pair of 10lb dumbell weights (using 3m adhesive rubber bump-dots for protection) on the left and right speakers, and I thought I heard a subtle difference -- maybe less of a sound like what the echo inside a guitar sounds like, if that makes any sense. But, I can convince myself of anything, so therefore I'm not convinced. Ironic huh?

I was hoping someone had done some studies and measurements with spectral decay or something, so I knew if I was going to be wasting my time trying to hear a difference. It seems to make sense to me, that all things equal, if one speaker has more weight on it than another, it would take more energy to vibrate the cabinet. So, therefore there should be some benefit. Whether or not it is audible, I don't know.

Hmmm.
    Jon O.

I've got my son on top of one 170 and my daughter on the other.......inside of picture frames, of course My wifes way of blending them into the bookcases they flank. I don't notice any improvement, other than the visual aspect of having my beautiful children to look at!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

My dear wife often puts things on top of "our" 340's. I try to explain in an even tone that that's not a good idea but it dosen't seem to phase her. She goes right back to putin stuff on top the speaker. It definitely dosen't have a good effect on me so I don't hold out much hope for improving the speaker either.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    My dear wife often puts things on top of "our" 340's. I try to explain in an even tone that that's not a good idea but it dosen't seem to phase her. She goes right back to putin stuff on top the speaker. It definitely dosen't have a good effect on me so I don't hold out much hope for improving the speaker either.

David
    The culprit is that dang-blamed flat area on top of the speaker. It just screamin' for someone to put something on it! It's DaveF's fault for designing in that flat spot to begin with!

Randy

Well.....

I have remote controls on top of one my 340s, and "Justice League" superheroes on the other ( I believe Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter, my son's favorite this week). My wife's workout videos are on top of the center channel (she can keep them anywhere she likes as long as she uses them )
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I forgot to mention that I weigh mine down with moose.

http://www.bradjudy.com/pics/rack_front.JPG

I see that I'm being boring by trying weights
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    I forgot to mention that I weigh mine down with moose.

http://www.bradjudy.com/pics/rack_front.JPG
    I certainly hope those moose are filled with cryoed shot and not poly-fill.

Micro-Bearing may be an even better filling for your application though.
    Last edited by Quinn; 11-04-2005 at 08:25 AM.