Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any ascend owners in the (se) CT area

Quote Originally Posted by rollin
    I'd rather get the more accurate assesment, So I'lll just go off of memory.
    You're welcome to still bring the Polks when we do it with the HK. It will just require a bit of a delay to switch.

In your opinion what['s] .... the best sounding music genre?
    Yikes, that's a tall order. I assume you mean on the Ascends? It's almost universally agreed that they shine the most on acoustic guitar, followed closely by female vocals. But, really, anything that's mastered well will sound great with them. Conversely, anything that's mastered/recorded poorly will not be able to hide its flaws. If there's any downside to Ascends, it's that they're like wearing a superhuman hearing aid.

and sensibull, Are you running a sub in your system?
    Typically, yes. I have a Dayton 10" (also known as the Tiny Mighty). Fine for HT, not so refined for music. I was in the middle of trying to tame it (i.e. flatten its frequency response) with a combination of the HK's EQ and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer when the volume encoder on the HK went on the fritz. My Denon has a sub pre-out, but no crossover control, so I'm just running 340s in stereo at the moment. When I get the replacement 635, I might take the BFD out of the loop though, to make my life a bit easier ;-)

oh, and I agree with David (Bikeman). 340s will not be overkill for your room, though they do greatly benefit by having some room behind them.

ohhhhh....acoustics and female voices, a couple of my favorite artists are Norah jones and Kaki King. I simply cannot wait to hear these. (sorry sensibull...No pressure intended)

If there's any downside to Ascends, it's that they're like wearing a superhuman hearing aid.
    Funny you sholuld say this... as My wife stands behind me, She says "well maybe we could strap these to the side of your head." Gosh I love her.

a couple of my favorite artists are Norah jones and Kaki King. I simply cannot wait to hear these. (sorry sensibull...No pressure intended)
    I'll have to dig up a beauty of a live recording I have of Norah sitting in with Charlie Hunter, before she hit it big. She does killer renditions of Nick Drake's "Day is Done," "More Than This" by Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music, "Turn Me On" (Nina Simone, I think), and the "Tennesse Waltz."

Kaki King I've heard wonderful things about...

Funny you sholuld say this... as My wife stands behind me, She says "well maybe we could strap these to the side of your head." Gosh I love her.
    Don't tell her I said so, but they're liable to have the opposite effect to the one she implies ("What's that honey? I didn't hear you. I was off in a musical reverie again...")

I just sent you an email, but I'm back in business if you still want an audition. Let me know...