Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any ascend owners in the (se) CT area

Default any ascend owners in the (se) CT area

Hello all, Just wondering if there's any owners in my area that would be willing to let me listen to their setup. Thanks.

I'm in Bloomfield (just outside Hartford), but my system is kind of in flux at the moment. My receiver (HK 635) is currently being replaced, so right now I'm just running my 340s in stereo off an older Denon (still sound great tho).

I should be back in business in a couple weeks. Let me know if you want to set something up. Timing might be kind of weird, as I have young twins and cranking music after hours is not possible. Would have be more of a daytime thing. FWIW, I also have a 340 center, and a pair of 170s that I'm using in another room.

sensibull, Thanks for the reply. Yea that would be great, I just bought a HK 630 and was thinking of pairing a set of 340's with it. So this would be a perfect oppurtunity to really get a feal for what they can do. I live in Windham so the drive would not be a big deal. BTW i have three little ones myself (youngest is 3 months) so i know all about loud music in the wee hours of the night. Cool... really looking forward to it.

Sounds good. I'll post back when I'm all set up again. If you don't hear from me in, say, three weeks, post again to remind me.

"sensibull"
    (a.k.a. Mike - mgbaughan@comcast.net)

Just a quick update Rollin. The service center dragged its feet in returning my HK 635, so it looks like HK won't be getting it 'til the 16th, at which point they'll send out my replacement. Unfortunately, that means I won't be able to host the audition until after Thanksgiving.

Hope the delay isn't fouling you up.

It shouldnt be a problem at all, Would you mind at all if i brought a couple of polk rt25i along with me? I realize the Ascends will probably blow these completly out of the water but i'd just like to get a feel for what I've been missing.

The RT25i has a single 5.25" mid/woofer...right? You should be able to dicern the differences right away without even hooking them up....just bring music you are familiar with. Then again, A/Bing is always fun.
    -curtis

Well, if you really want to A/B, the old Denon ProLogic receiver (AVR900) I'm using in the interim has a true A/B switch and according to this old review essentially operates like a dedicated stereo amp (the front two channels are discrete/not bridged with the others) when in stereo mode. Only 60W per channel, and it won't be as accurate an assessment of what you'd get with your HK 630, though...

Up to you...
    Last edited by sensibull; 11-10-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Yea just a single 5.25. I'd rather get the more accurate assesment, So I'lll just go off of memory. Which shouldn't be very hard since I've been using these for what seems like forever. But can't complain, they've been really good to me, Thats probably why I'm having such a hard time putting them up on ebay.
    Have a couple of Q's for ya

In your opinion what sounds the best sounding music genre?

My living room is 17x14x8(with large opening to the kitchen), Is this too small a room for the 340's? overkill?

and sensibull, Are you running a sub in your system?

Quote Originally Posted by rollin
    My living room is 17x14x8(with large opening to the kitchen), Is this too small a room for the 340's? overkill?
    I can answer this one. Definitely not overkill. These are bookshelf speakers. A room your size is going to work just fine.

David