Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My new stands!!

Just a quick update.

Two nights ago I went to Home Depot and bought some sand to fill the stands. Each stand took about 25lbs of sand. A 50lbs. bag of filter, washed, and dried sand for sandboxes is about $4. My guess is the stands way between 40-50lbs. each now. The shipping weight of the stands, which came in three boxes, was 63lbs.

I then took the speakers off of the bookshelves, moved the bookshelves into the kids' room, and placed the speakers and stands into position.

The biggest difference is in the soundstage, it is now bigger. Everything else has been "cleaned" up a bit. Lower-mids and bass seemed to have benefited the most. I expected a bit of a difference, but overall, the difference is a little more than I expected.

When everything is setup in a week or two (a new rack/AV stand is a Christmas present to myself), I will post more pictures.

-curtis

Curtis,

Do you still have the ACI Sapphires as well? I'm curious now if the improved mids/bass of the 340s alters your opinion of the 340s vs. Sapphires at all? I wonder if you would notice the same differences if the Sapphires were put on those stands in the same position as well? Anyway, don't feel like you have to mess with your set-up for this question... just wondering if a thought had popped into your mind in that regard?

Dave.

I will do more with the Sapphires this week. I would think the some of what you heard will be cleaned up...and the drivers have more time on them now as well. I will report to you when I try them on the stands.

-curtis