Thread: Ascend Design: commentson tradeoffs?

Default Ascend Design: commentson tradeoffs?

Ascend,

I am specifically interested in the crossover choice - what is its order? I'm interested in the objectives (first order = "waveform integrity" but non-flat freq response, higher order = flat freq response but usually has out-of-phase drivers)

Love the measurements on dispersion, because I hate head-in-a-vice speakers.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

The off-axis measurements are posted on "measurements" for each speaker.

Yes, I have already seen the measurements. That wasn't the focus of my post. I am interested in the path to get there:

- first order crossover (often weaker freq response but better phase conservation)... so use other methods to smooth the freq response.

- second/fourth order crossover... helped with the great off-axis measurements (designers felt that the phase shift was a good trade-off for the better freq-response)

I am doing extensive auditioning of speakers and trying to determine for myself if the "phase/time coherent" camp (like Vandersteen, Thiel) deliver better sound as they say (and if it's worth having head-in-a-vice listening). I have listened to the 340 mains and have opinions about the experience, but would like the perspective of the designers.

Regards,
    Jeff

Wouldn't it be best to try phase/time coherent speakers to find out what you like? A HUGE price difference in the Vandy's/Theils and the Ascends.

I think you are on the right track by audiotioning to find out what camp you are in. Maybe email Ascend directly with specific technical questions.
    -curtis

Hi ahrensjt,

Welcome to our forum!

A very good description of our crossover used in the CBM-170 can be found in Howard Ferstler's Sensible Sound review located here:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...endreprint.pdf

First paragraph, second page..

For more specific detail, please email me directly. I would be happy to discuss with you...

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com