Thread: Choices...choices

Default Choices...choices

I am already slightly over my budget...but I would like to have some comments and/or recommendations regarding the following two choices.

1. L/C/R 340's; Surrounds 170's; Sub VTF-2 MK2 (Better Mains)
    2. L/R 170's; Center 340; Surrounds 170's; Sub VTF-3 MK2 (Better Sub)

Addittional information:
    Room size: 12x15x10 (WxLxH) dedicated HT
    Amp: ATI 1807 (180wpc x 7)

To me, it all depends on the ratio of HT to music. More music, go with better mains. More movies, go with better sub (assuming you like movies that occassionally go 'boom').

If it is a dedicated HT I'm assuming primarily movies. My room is 13x18x8(WxLxH) and run an Outlaw 1050(65Wx6) driving my 170's L/R, B&W center and Onix Rocket UFW-10. For music and movies the 170's are great. For music the 10" sub is great. For movies it does a good job, but if you can get a good 12" sub go for it. It will give you more of that "air shaking" ability that will benefit movie soundtracks. More than anything else, a good sub can make or break an otherwise good system.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I had to make a similar decesion awhile back. I went with the 340's and a cheap sub to get me through. I have not heard the 170's yet so I can't draw a comparison. When I bought the 340's, they were intended to be primarily for HT but now it's (at least) 75% music.
    I hope to hear the 170's at metalaaron's the last week of November. I hope to have a better idea of the similarities and the differences after that. I can't imagine that I'd be satisfied with the 170's now that I've been spoiled by the 340's but we'll see. I've been wrong before.

David

Default Thanks

All comments were appreciated...got my wife to extend the budget a little more. I will be ordering L/C/R 340's; Surrounds 170's; Sub VTF-3 MK2. I'm a lucky guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CLM
    All comments were appreciated...got my wife to extend the budget a little more. I will be ordering L/C/R 340's; Surrounds 170's; Sub VTF-3 MK2. I'm a lucky guy!!!
    Perfect. That was gonna be my suggestion. 340 LCR + 170 surrounds and save up for the VTF3.

I will be ordering L/C/R 340's; Surrounds 170's; Sub VTF-3 MK2. I'm a lucky guy!!!
    Yes you are! Same system as mine...VERY nice! Congrats!

Randy

Thumbs up Update

I received my VTF3-mk2, 340m's, 340c, 170's with mounts and stands. Everything fits well and sounds great. Thanks to the new sub things are vibrating that I did not know could vibrate..oh well...I have to work on that (smile). I do not think I will be using the Omnimounts for the 170's in the rear though...I know it works for other folks but I am a little nervous about getting that setup to work for me. Looks like I will be building/buying stands for the rear surrounds. I am going to enjoy this...

I am already slightly over my budget...but I would like to have some comments and/or recommendations regarding the following two choices.

1. L/C/R 340's; Surrounds 170's; Sub VTF-2 MK2 (Better Mains)
    2. L/R 170's; Center 340; Surrounds 170's; Sub VTF-3 MK2 (Better Sub)
    Looking back seems like you got best of both worlds (better mains AND sub). For something that should last you years, you'll have no regrets. An extra couple $$ early can prevent upgradeitis in the future. Please update w/ impressions.