Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hsu VTF-3HO Turbo Preorder Available - Save $100

I just looked at the photo.....Wow!

I WANT ONE OF THOSE TURBO UNITS FOR MY VTF-3Mk2!! WOOOOOOOF.

Rick

Red face

I relize I came on a bit strong about the cost. I have really missed some valuable points. I think it mostly stemed from me assuming that it was an electrical device. And mabee a bit from the frustration of my resent HSU sub failure. I must admit I would love to hear and more so own a 3HO with the TURBO! HO HO HO...
    JH

Thumbs up

Maybe I will give it a go. Peter Marcks had this to say about building your own.
    "That's great, this is a very good and cost-effective way towards boosting low bass performance!"
    As soon as you get it Jon can you give me a few dementions? I think a cherry or maple cabinet could add to our decor as well as increase performance.
    Last edited by X52; 11-02-2005 at 05:33 AM.
    JH

Quote Originally Posted by X52
    I relize I came on a bit strong about the cost. I have really missed some valuable points. I think it mostly stemed from me assuming that it was an electrical device. And mabee a bit from the frustration of my resent HSU sub failure. I must admit I would love to hear and more so own a 3HO with the TURBO! HO HO HO...
    Hey no worries, it happens. I have weeks like that where I post much worse (and then I go drinking and it get's really bad and I email Hsu about VTF-3HO preorders!)

I think the dimensions are already posted in the Hsu forum, but I'll make sure to take some photos and measurements when I get mine. It'll be like christmas before christmas!
    Jon O.

Also, if interested, there is a patent involved with the Turbo as well. I think you can find it online somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
    -curtis

Curtis, how will that help?
    JH

Question

I’ve just been through the HSU forum. I can hardly believe the claims of the turbo. Jon I assume you got the turbo. Its like buying another subwoofer for $100!!!
    Now the one point I have is that I can hardly turn up my sub with out overpowering everything else. I can't really think of what I would do if it doubled!?! Although it would be pretty cool! Is this the sort of thing when someone buys tons of watts and build huge boxes in their car trunk. Seriously, I hear most HSU owner saying all the time, myself included, 'I hardly have it turned a quarter way up'. Is everyone just over powering the lower end with the turbos? The way I see it is that the artist made their music or movie to sound a certain way. Shouldn't our goal be to hear what they wanted us to hear, and not overemphasize parts of it? Don’t get me wrong I love bass that’s where all the fun is. What's your perspective? What am I missing here?
    JH

Quote Originally Posted by X52
    Curtis, how will that help?
    How will it help? I guess it depends on what you are looking for, but it will show while the Turbo may seem simple, there is innovation behind it.

Subwoofers, and regular speakers for that matter, will get better all the time due to better materials, drivers, amps, etc...components in general. When things make a real leap is when something new or innovative comes along. When this happens, people take notice and some fawn over it, some criticize it, and some just wait for the real info.

I have heard/seen a prototype, and it sounds great, but I didn't do any max SPL tests. I have also met and talked to Dr. Hsu....I know how reserved he is....if he says it will do something, I am going to believe it.
    -curtis

Curtis,
    Did you hear the turbo on the 3ho or a later model? Does it reall seem like it would compare to hearing two subs? After hearing it are you going to turbo, or are you going to buy a new sub even though your is pretty new? The most amazing thing, that I can hardly believe, is that the new 3ho w/turbo sounds comparable to two TN's??????? WOW. I mean WWOOWW!!!!!!!!!!!
    JH

If I understand correctly, the goal of the turbo isn't to turn your sub up and unbalance your sound. What the turbo will essentially do is allow the sub to play lower frequencies (that it can already play) a little louder before creating port noise. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I always have trouble describing this thing.

Also, depending on the size of your room and configuration, I'm guessing it'll help the sub handle a larger room.

(I'm going to have to go read and double-check that I'm interpreting this all correctly..back later).
    Jon O.