Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Since I like my black Ascends.....

hahahahaha

For kicks, I just purchased a sub enclosure on eBay after confirming with Hsu to make sure it would work well with their car sub driver. Then I ordered the driver. For 2/3rd's the cost of the JL Audio solution, I figured it was worth a shot. I can return the JL Audio sub or easily sell it if the Hsu setup works better.
    -curtis

OK....I got the Hsu sub into the enclosure and have done some listening...impressive thus far. Here are some pics. You can see the the footprint of the two subs is not that different (the JL sub is not pushed all the way back in the pictures because the amp is in the way). Sorry for the sun spots....it is a very nice day here today!

Oh...Veterans Day....since I work for a school, I have it off. That's why I have time to do this today.
    -curtis

Curtis, it looks like the Hsu driver is larger than the JL. The enclosure for the Hsu also looks to have more volume. I'd imagine you are getting deeper extension at louder levels with the Hsu?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

oops...sorry...I left that info out.

Yes..the JL Audio driver is 10" the Hsu car sub driver is 12". The enclosure I used for the Hsu is bigger overall than the JL Audio....but in terms of floorspace it is about the same.

From the limited listening I have done so far, you are absolutely correct, the Hsu setup does have more extension and is louder.

I don't need the louder part unless I want to try and out "boom, boom" a kid at a stoplight.

The JL enclosure is very nice though.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Oh...Veterans Day....since I work for a school, I have it off. That's why I have time to do this today.
    I'm going to guess that you are a technology coordinator...possibly????

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-the-dog
    I'm going to guess that you are a technology coordinator...possibly????

Randy
    Close...project manager at UCLA Medical Center.

[vent mode on] Only a 16 mile commute, but takes 45 minutes in the morning and about an hour in the evening to get home.[vent mode off] So having good sound in the car is a huge bonus. I have also been getting into podcasts.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    [vent mode on] Only a 16 mile commute, but takes 45 minutes in the morning and about an hour in the evening to get home.[vent mode off]
    I'm a veteran and work at a University (guess which one) but I was a little jealous because we didn't get the day off.
    My work commute takes me six minutes by bike or twenty minutes on foot. I haven't driven to a job in well over a decade. I live in a very nice home on a tree lined street that cost less than a falling down garage in Curtis's neighborhood. And I owe this good fortune to the 10 to 16 feet of snow we get during the winter. For some reason, folk prefer to live where it's sunny and warm all the time instead of where you get to shovel snow morning, noon and night for a few months. There's no accounting for how some folks think.

David

Since you're on the topic of autosound, any interest in setting-up a hi-res system in your car? I recently heard an Acura TL's DVD-audio system & it was fairly decent.

Dave..you guys didn't have Veterans Day off? Interesting.

As for hi-rez in the car, I have thought about that and read about other's experiences with the Acura system. I wonder how much I could really enjoy it with road noise. To add to that....does someone make an aftermarket headunit that supports it? Then I would also need a way to add a center channel.
    -curtis

Yeah, ctr channel's the tricky part. The TL had separate trim level controls for the center and SW channels. It appears the ctr channel reflects off the windshield. Since many of my hi-res discs are not dual or hybrids, just thinking of ways to get the most out of them.