So with the new job, and the kids' school year starting, I have not had much time to enjoy listening to music on my Ascends this past month.

So this evening I went to Barnes & Noble to pick up a few CDs and to just listen to music this evening. Barnes & Noble is great because you can hear pieces of every track before you buy the CD.

Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine" is her first CD in a long time I think. I was not a big Fiona fan before, but I like this CD and I think Fiona fans will too. The sound is more mature now.

Ben Folds Five "Whatever and Ever Amen" - I have always seemed to like their stuff, but never had any of their CDs. Recently, I got Ben Fold's solo release "Songs for Silverman" so when I was at Barnes & Noble, I came across "Whatever and Ever Amen". I really like Ben Folds' piano work....like a new Billy Joel.

Kate Earl "Fate is the Hunter" - Because my commute to work is much longer now, I now have a bigger iPod and have it integrated into my car audio system.....and I listen to podcasts on the way home from work. One of the podcasts I listen to is KCRW's Mornings become Eclectic, a radio show that features live in studio music from emerging artists from all genres. Kate Earl was featured on one, and I really liked it, so I seeked out the CD. Great voice...like she could sing jazz very well. I read her described as a cross between Joni Mitchell and later Fiona Apple. Interesting, some of the members of Incubus worked with her on this album.

A great listening session on my system and Ascends!