Thread: Ascend + HK630 through B&K amplifier

Default Ascend + HK630 through B&K amplifier

A while back ago, about 6 months or so, I asked a question about pre out receiver to an external amplifier such as the B & K one. All answers I've got was that it didn't make significant different. I went ahead and ordered the B & K reference 125.7 series 2 amplifier and here's my take on it.

1. At my normal listening level, it sounds cleaner and clearer. Much more spaces in between instruments. It brings out all instruments to the front and I can hear everything (maybe everything until I have a dedicate preamp).

2. At 5 dB above my normal listening level, it sounds different, less stress than the Harman Kardon 630 eventhough everyone was impressed with my 630 at high volume .

3. The Harman Kardon couldn't play some audio CD well. I mean it sounded like mono and I had to turn it up 8 dB above my normal listening level to listen to with unsatisfactory feeling because I really like the songs in those CD. When I pre-out to the B & K amp, I only turn it up 2 dB above my normal listening level and it sounds really good. These CD suddenly become my favorite because they are so clean and virtually no noise (I couldn't pick up any)

4. Perhap the obvious different is this:

With all calibration done on the Harman Kardon, I tried Logic 7 7 channels, Dolby Prologic 2x, DTS Neo6 on audio CD, I could not hear a thing coming from the surround and surround back speakers (I have HTM 200). I had to get a chair to get up and basically press my ears to the speaker to hear sound from my surround. Unacceptable and I thought it was useless to have 7.1 setup. Last night, I accidently had Logic 7 7 channels mode on (as the result of the previous night of watching movie) while starting to listen to some audio CD, I heard backup voices and instruments coming from my surround speakers. I thought my ears were wrong so I got up and checked and there I had it. Sound material coming from all of my surrounds and the mode is Logic 7 7 channels. I switched to Dolby Pro Logic IIx and DTS Neo:6 and I've got all speakers producing sound nicely!

5. The bad thing is that for shitty recording CD and MP3, I can hear even more noises. I should blame Ascend for this too because I can hardly listen to MP3 now.

My question is now answered and I'm happy with the external B & K amplifier. Mine has only 125 watts and it really shines. It DOES make a significant different to pre-out a receiver to an external amplifier. At least for me (while waiting to buy the preamp). B & K makes wonderful amp and I will definitely buy their processor when I save enough; hopefully within 6 months! I did save closed to 8 months for the amp so another 6 months is nothing.

This is really an expensive hoppy!

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the amp + receiver combo. I've been toying with the idea of buying an amp so I appreciate the time you took to write up your impressions.