Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kinda quiet...What's everyone up to?

Got married right after college, had the oldest a couple of years later, so just got a fairly early start on the fam. Not enhanced, just lots of vitamins.
    Last edited by tjennings; 10-10-2005 at 09:49 PM.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Might as well chime in and join the party

Let's see... Just started doing layout for a book called Million Dollar Mistakes written by Moses Avalon of Confessions of a Record Producer fame. First book in a while I'm actually going to read after I finish doing production on it... I'll be sure to share any juicy tidbits I come across...

Our twins just started daycare, which makes my "commute" from the kitchen to the office a lot easier -- no blind-side leg grabs or tantrums on the way. And I can finally turn up my 340s a bit

Latest toy is a 12" touchscreen LCD I got for insanely cheap off eBay, and which (after a bunch of tweaks and mods) I will be incorporating into my HTPC setup. Should boost the WAF factor immensely.

Not considered a 'regular' either, but trying to wake up this forum too.

Finally ended my on-going search for an AVR. Just received the Pio 74txvi this weekend. So far so good. Over the year or so, since buying my Ascends, went from a Pio vsk912 > HK DPR 1005 > HK DPR 2005 > HK 435. The Pio 74 will probably stay. I've taken the advice to "buy it and try it" to heart, so please don't flame me for 'utilizing' Costco's return policy (the HK 2005 was defective & went back to Frys). To me, the Ascends have held their own to whatever I've thrown at them, so those won't change for quite a while.

I'm also in my never-ending search for A/V furniture. Looking for something that'll last a while, so I'm taking my time and saving my money. For anyone in the Los Angeles area, Pacific Sales (at least in Cerritos) has a very good selection of furniture at really good prices. Lots of decent HT setups too.
    Last edited by BGHD; 10-03-2005 at 08:51 AM.

Here goes......

The wife is not able to take care of the household duties she normally does due to nursing school/clinicals, so I am busier at home. My son had his 11th birthday last week. Had to sign him up for basketball. He tried out for and made it on to a traveling baseball team. I'm trying to catch up at work, and still working two jobs to keep the boat afloat. With the expected hike in natural gas prices, I gotta start winterizing the house.

The only upgrade was a free one due to winning a contest over at Axiom. I picked up a pair of QS8 surround speakers.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Not a regular poster per se, but more of a regular lurker. Although I guess I have been on this board now for quite some time. It's great to learn a little more about everyone else! Lots of diverse interests in addition to HT.

My work is still the same (civil engineer - hydrologist) although with all the hurricane stuff lately, it's possible we may get even more studies for the state of Louisiana as a result. Having fun with my 5+ month old son who seems to learn new things every day.

Drove 8 hrs to Slidell, Louisiana this weekend with a volunteer group from my church to help clean up flooded homes & remove downed trees on Sat & Sun AM. (Went to Hattiesburg, MS 2 weeks ago to do the same thing). It was a very rewarding & productive trip, but there is still TONS of work to be done down there. As a result, I missed Serenity but hoping to see it this week.

Wife & I have been catching up on Lost S1 & I've been catching up on BSG S1. Nothing new in the HT department though.

I spent much of the weekend at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (I'll post a write-up when I get a chance). The past couple of weekends were largely spent painting the house.

Sensibull - your twins are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How sweet!

Nick - too cool that you are taking flying lessons - GOOD LUCK on the PP license! Maybe you can fly yourself to some of these HT get-togethers!

Randy/Lou-the-dog - kudos for the family center at your local park! That sounds like a lot of work. Must be a woman thing with the car bumpers and curbs, mine do the same thing...

CliffL - that is fantastic you helped with the cleanup in Lousiana, I bet that was a great feeling. And I've missed the first 2 episodes of LOST this S2. I loved S1.

David / Bikeman - are you a professor? What do you teach? Do you ride your bike to work at the university?

Mag_Neato - hang in there, once your wife gets a nursing job things should get easier, nurses make a nice income (and deservedly so). And winning some Axiom surrounds - wow - that had to be a very pleasant surprise! I'm going to do some winterizing myself, might even dump some of that Cocoon insulation into the attic before winter. We'll see if I get around to it... it might get put on hold once I get my front three 340's around Oct 21st!

Curtis - I've been in LA twice on vacation, and wow, yes, the traffic is horrendous, worst I've ever seen I think. The 1 lane exits to another major interstate just creates huge bottlenecks and backups... they need to blow those bottlenecks up and put 2 or 3 lane exits in so traffic keeps moving.

Metalaaron - hmmm, a SB party, now there's an idea! Problem is, our local Erie stations aren't able to do the HD pass-through programming yet... slated for summer of 2006, so the SB will be just fuzzy regular tv. But the ESPN HD college / pro games are something to behold!
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Chasing my two year-old son around and looking for a new job in the Boston area so that I can finally afford a full set of 170s!

Actually, I managed to snag used 170c for just over $100 on ebay. Should be here Friday. I'm planning to do a rigorous comparison of it with my Ascend AS-C1 and whatever other center speakers I can get my hands on. Brings me to a question. Can anyone suggest a good DVD that will allow me to evaluate ONLY the center channel?

I was thinking of "Down by Law" which has an excellent Dolby Digital MONO soundtrack. Any other suggestions?