Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinda quiet...What's everyone up to?

Default Kinda quiet...What's everyone up to?

Been a little subdued around here as of late. What's the forum regulars been up to? Any new toys, new babies, new houses, new hobbies, new cars, etc? We were supposed to close on our house yesterday, but of course it's been pushed back until next Friday. There's always a few things that need to be touched up, it seems. Haven't purchased any new audio/video toys in a while, but we have hit Home Depot pretty hard for all the things first time home owners need. Also, we had to buy a fridge and just for fun we got a new living room and bedroom suite. There goes all my disposable cash for the next couple of months. Oh well, that's how it goes when you're married. The good news is I should have enough brownie points in my favor to get something nice when we get moved in.
    - EVH III

Working a bunch. I'm so happy I got my old job back that I had left before traveling last year. 10min drive on backroads with a larger paycheck.

I've been doing lot's of studying for my PP-ASEL written exam, and have about 30hrs in the Cessna 152-II. Haven't flown in two weeks due to weather and my instructor being on vacation, so I hope to put another 8hrs in the cockpit this week with the money that has accumulated. Hope to get my Private Pilot license by Thanksgiving.

Still haven't got my new home theater seats yet. Made a bunch of kitchen/dining upgrades with my free cash over the past few weeks. My other stuff was getting pretty worn out, especially my chef's knife. Raided the Sur La Table and Crate & Barrel catalogs. Got everything I wanted but the pan upgrades. Have to do some saving to get the All-Clad stuff I want...

Great DVDs I've snagged recently were Crash and Born into Brothels.

Red Sox are tied for first in the AL East as well as for the Wild Card. Red Sox/Yankees October baseball is what it's all about!

Nice to see you guys! Whaen are the 170v.2's coming out?

I started a new job about a month ago and it is going great. The only downside is that my daily commute has gone from about 5 minutes one way to around 45-60 minutes. If you want to gauge the traffic in LA....I live only 15 miles from my new office...but I do have to traverse probably some of the worse traffic. Without the traffic, it would be about 20 minutes.

The only new toys I have gotten is a new Toyota 4Runner and I am working on the A/V system for it.
    -curtis

Ordered a pair of HTM-200's this week. They have to come accross the continent so they won't be here for another week.
    Tore down a wall in the house so it's sheetrock time along with painting the front porch. Gotta get it all done before winter which can start almost anytime around here.
    Restarted my Netflix account so movies are back on the menu.
    I've also started a new job (same university) and I'm working exclusively days for the first time in a few decades. That's why I don't post in the morning anymore.
    I'm very satisfied with my sound system so I'm no longer persuing Nirvana which means I'm not as active on some of the Forums as I've been in the past.
    I'll post my impressions of the 200's in a few weeks. I'll first use them in a two channel system just to get a feel for how they stack up all on their own and then they'll become the surround speakers in my home theatre. It's always fun to audition new toys.

David

Lessee... outside of the normal livestock chores I've been busy finishing up construction on a "shelter house" that a few of us have donated the labor towards. I included the quotations on "shelter house" because it is more of a community/family center located at our local park. The building is 50' X 70' with full kitchen facilities, concession for the ballpark, handicap accessible restrooms and banquet room. Been devoting my spare time to it since Aug of last year. Kinda proud of it with all labor donated and material costs paid by fundraisers and grants. Also been building much needed additional feed storage at the farm. My wife and my teenage daughter this past year have taken to destroying the front bumper cover on my Chrysler by jamming it on high curbs and such. They have finally succeeded so I put it in the shop out at the farm to replace it and do a few other needed repairs. Crop harvest is here so soybeans will be combined in the next few days or so...corn soon to follow.

Randy

Oh yeah, flag football for my eldest son, gymnastics for my youngest daughter, band for my oldest daughter and just keeping the youngest two out of trouble.
    Last edited by Lou-the-dog; 10-01-2005 at 06:24 PM.

Talking

Randy, I think you need a few more things to do.
    - EVH III

I know I don't qualify as a 'regular' yet since I've only been here for a month, but I really enjoyed reading everyone's updates.

Since the summer racing (running / duathlons) season is over, I've been just working out at a less frenetic pace and enjoying my home theater upgrades. Instead of running so much, I've been bicycling the 13 miles each way to work once or twice a week. Great workout, about 50 minutes to bike in to work. I have to contend with quite a few traffic lights on the way. GE where I work (we make the locomotives you see pulling trains - I design computer systems) has a nice locker room for showering / leaving the biking clothes to dry. Biking back home is more uphill so it takes me about 55 minutes on the return trip.

The 50" HDTV is really coming in handy for football season, soooo glad my 11 year old 35" tube tv bit the dust in July! I got the HDTV on Aug 3rd, so it is nearly 2 months old already. And I got the new Denon universal DVD player on Aug 27th, but Crutchfield replaced it already because it started acting strange after a few weeks. Just received the newer unit (mfg in July, as opposed to last December) on Wednesday and the video is GREATLY improved... I guess the 7 months of firmware updates really made a difference. I stayed up until 3 AM this morning sampling DVD-As, SACDs, and movies / concerts... 3D looking. The sound quality has always been superb compared to the 2 year old Toshiba it replaced... and now with this newer unit I can say the video is much MUCH nicer also.

Gettin' old... our 2 daughters celebrated their 23rd and 17th birthdays this summer, and my wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary with family. We had a great time... but how time flies...

It was great to learn more about you 'regulars!'
    Last edited by tjennings; 10-02-2005 at 08:48 AM.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

You know, what tjennings said got me thinking. By 'regulars', I didn't mean that only certain folks could post. This forum is a fairly small, tight-knit group, and if you've posted more than once in the past year then you seem like a regular to me. Just wanted to (hopefully) make that a little clearer. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by tjennings
    Gettin' old... our 2 daughters celebrated their 23rd and 17th birthdays this summer, and my wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary with family. We had a great time... but how time flies...
    '
    Looking at your avatar picture....you do not look old enough to have kids that age or married that long. Is the picture "enhanced"?
    -curtis

I've been spending some time in Azeroth, and messing with my iPod nano.

sounds like a superbowl party is in order at tjenning's this season.

my hat goes off to all of you guys with families. i'm sure my mother was pleased that the last of us three (my sister) just left the house. she said she wouldn't trade it in for the world, but she's glad it's over with.