Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 340's and Alison Krauss & Union Station Live

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I watch this DVD and her voice seemed to come from the center speaker.
    Weird. My center channel speaker trim is 3 notches below my mains, so that could account for some of it, but there's no doubt I can hear her voice (and prominently) coming from my left and right speakers. And I was watching in DTS as well. Perhaps a difference in the way our receivers process the signal? (I'm using an HK 635).

Could be. I may have forgotten to turn the center back to 0. For movies, I'll keep it at +2 or 3. Helps with the dialog. I usually listen to music in 2 channel but for DVD's, I'll sometimes use DTS or DD.

David

Hi guys, I just got home and popped in both the DVD concert and the SACD to confirm the non-existent center channel (I remember noticing that when I first bought it a long time ago, but wanted to be sure). I listened to STAY in both DTS and Dolby Digital with my ear up to the center channel and I couldn't discern any output... if it was there it is EXTREMELY faint. And then I popped in the more newly purchased SACD which I KNOW doesn't have any center channel output (and yep, that was again the case with my ear 1" from the center).

I quickly found this link which explains why some are mixed this way:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS...int=1&page=all

In some surround mixes, engineers don't want to use the center channel speaker at all. That's because there is a wide range of center channel speakers being used in surround systems. The problem is especially true in the all-important car playback market. In a mobile environment, the center speaker might be a tiny, low-powered speaker mounted in the head unit. To get around the center-channel speaker, engineers will sometimes create a phantom center image, which is how the voice appears to come from the center of the stereo panorama in a stereo mix. By using the same signal at exactly the same level in both front speakers, it will appear to be coming from the center. This technique can be used quite effectively in surround mixing. Listen to Buena Vista Social Club (Nonesuch Records) on DVD-Audio to see how pleasant it can sound.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Thanks very much for the clarification (and the helpful link). I'm in the middle of re-intergrating my newly replaced HK 635 into my setup and I was beginning to wonder if something was amiss...

now I have to get the DVD again. Why does this not distress me?

David