Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340's and Alison Krauss & Union Station Live

Default 340's and Alison Krauss & Union Station Live

I have a couple of weeks until my front three 340's arrive... but I was just listening to the AKUS Live CD (I also have the DVD-V concert) and was wondering if anyone has listened to AKUS LIVE on the 340m's. Her voice is so pure, so crystal clear, that I was actually WINCING with my current speakers when she would really belt it out (such as on the BROADWAY and GHOST IN THIS HOUSE tracks). I'm hoping with the 340's I don't lose any of the detail I have now, but that I can actually listen to her gorgeous voice without bleeding from the ears.

I have this same problem with the DVD-A of Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - the chorus parts of just about every song is just so, well, in-your-face and piercing, that I can barely stand listening to it. I'm hoping that settles down a bit on the 340s too.
    Last edited by tjennings; 11-14-2005 at 07:51 PM.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Listen to AKUS live regularly. I have GYBR but not the DVD-A version. The 340's do a great job with both recordings. I don't "wince."

David

Ok, thanks for the info... HURRY UP 340's!!!!!
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Default Now THAT is more like it!

I've had my three new front 340's for 4 weeks now... I don't wince either anymore when listening to AKUS and Alison's crystal-clear voice! I had the SACD of it in tonight and my oh my, she sounded sweeeeeet!
    -- Tom --
    My HT

The only Allison Kraus song I have in my collection is "New Favorite" and I really like it.
    -curtis

Default AKUS rules

New Favorite is on this Live CD / SACD / concert DVD - in fact, the concert DVD also has the New Favorite VIDEO - so if you liked that song, I highly recommend this incredible Live recording. Essentially a greatest hits and one of the best live recordings I've ever heard.... definitely demo material!

I had a friend over last week that had never heard of AKUS and I played him 3 songs from the DVD and he was absolutely blown away (as I was when I first saw it when MY home theater buddy showed it to me!) - he couldn't believe how perfectly Alison sang with such little effort! Then I played him a few other songs from the SACD version of it while we watched a HD football game... I think he is now in love also with Alison !

I had the honor to see them in concert this past summer here in Erie PA and it was perfection just like this Live album.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

I rented the DVD from Netflix last week. It was nice to "see" what I've been enjoying on CD for a while now. Should I "invest" in multi-channel for a different experience?

David

The SACD is a step-up from the CD sound-wise as you might expect, but the surround effects are minimal in most songs... mostly the typical concert crowd cheering between songs. The last couple of a capella songs on disc 2 seem to have some of the better surround usage, like AKUS is in the room with you. I'd say get the SACD if you REALLY enjoy AKUS like I do... otherwise put the CD in Dolby Pro Logic 2 mode and get nearly the same effect.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Just rented this concert DVD from Netflix. Great performance, fantastic musicianship. Odd thing though, the center channel doesn't seem to be used at all, or very minimally. Alison's voice and violin come predominantly from L/R, though she is standing front and center. Can you confirm this TJennings? I wonder if this was done to maintain traditional "stereo" sound in the front soundstage, or in case a center isn't used?

I watch this DVD and her voice seemed to come from the center speaker. I also got the DVD from Netflix. I own the CD but that won't help with the question. I watched the DVD in DTS. Don't know if that had any effect.

David