Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Ascend 5.1 purchase decision...

Default Need advice on Ascend 5.1 purchase decision...

After many long, grueling hours pouring over reviews, comparisons and user opinions, I have concluded that Ascend seems like the best system for my needs. I'm hoping the users on this forum can give me any advice as to why or why not I should go with the following set-up:

Fronts - CMT340 Main
    Center - CMT340 Center
    Surround - CBM 170
    Sub - VTF2 MK2

The room - 15 x 13 in a 1929 home with wood floors
    Pioneer Elite 620HD 58" RPTV
    Pioneer VSX 1015TX

I think the Ascends will look great in the room in a very subtle way with the Pioneer set.

I guess the information I'm after is do you have any recommendations based on my room size/limitations? Is there benefit going to the 340's over the 170's and the same with the VTF2 vs. the STF2?

Also, I've seen other speaker stands recommended for the CBM 170, but no opinions of the angled set that's available here. Does anybody use the Omni stands?

I realize that I can return or exchange, but I would really appreciate any opinions from a personal experience point of view. I'd like to get it right the first time!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Beelz!

Let me say, my room is 13' x 18' w/8' ceiling. I am running 170's L/R with a B&W center, recently acquired Axiom QS8 surrounds and a Rocket UFW-10 subwoofer. I am using an Outlaw 1050 receiver. I cannot imagine needing the 340's........the 170's put out a lot of sound in my room. I am considering the 340 center to replace the B&W just to have matching speakers for the front L/C/R. Watching T3 the other day, I'm not so sure I need to replace the B&W, it sounded awesome! Maybe it depends on how the movie was mixed. I'm just curious as to what the 340 can do as a center.

I picked the UFW-10 because I put a priority on musical accuracy, and that is this subs forte'. There are some movie effects that seem less rumbly, but other times there are effects which downright impress compared to my old PSB 12" ported sub.

I say don't second guess the system you've outlined above. You will surely be impressed once you have it set up.

P.S. Any decent 30" stand will do the job. For me I wanted something that matched the asthetics of the 170's. The Metal Technology MU-30's fit the bill!
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 09-15-2005 at 12:44 PM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I think this is an excellent selection of products. For most people, there isn't a strong reason to choose the VTF-2 over the STF-2, so it might be a good place to save a bit of money.

I own the slant stands, but mine must be an older version since they are not adjustable as noted on the current product page. They work fine for my CBM-170s. They aren't the most stable since they don't have much weight (nor does it work well to fill them), but they also don't dominate a room visually. If there is a high likelihood of someone bumping into them, you might consider a sturdier stand.

I have the same system but opted for the VTF3MKII which is plenty of sub in my room (essentially the same size as yours). I say you've done a fine job picking out a system. Keep in mind that the 170's are fairly large. If you are looking for something less obtrusive then the HTM200's might fit better. If not a worry or multi-channel music is a priority then stick with the 170's.

Randy

Beelz,

I found that I actually preferred the 170s over the 340s, but this was over half a year after ordering the 340s...thought the 170s stayed flat and neutral into higher volumes than the 340s, which got a tad trebly above about 80-85db to my ears. Originally I bought the 340s because I figured I'd need the extra driver and higher sensitivity in my cavernous 6000 cubic foot space, your room certainly would not pose that issue. The 340center though was worth every penny. IMO the 340s also are much more attractive-looking than the 170s, if that matters at all.

I personally think the 170s are too good to be used as surrounds, but that's me having no interest in ever doing multi-channel music SACD/DVD-A, and seldom watching big budget action movies that have tons of sound effects. I am fine going with cheap Polk R20s as surrounds, you can get R15s for $50/pair at Frys these days.

As for the sub, the main advantage of the VTF-2 over the STF-2 is that you can tune it to 32Hz instead of the STF-2's fixed 25Hz in order to get higher output from music. I agree with Brad that this is where you can go with the less expensive STF-2.

I'd put the savings into a good CDP if music is important to you, I found that the Ascends being truly revealing speakers will show off a good source better than most speakers. I was not impressed when I listened to a couple of CDPs in a shop running some $1500 Monitor Audio floorstanders but when I got one of them home on my 340s, they improved hugely.

The 340 is the better speaker. The 170 will handle that room easily and sound very good. My 2 channel is 340s and my HT is 170s L/R mains, 340CC, and 200s surrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    The 340 is the better speaker. The 170 will handle that room easily and sound very good.
    Let's qualify that statement a bit.

The 170s and the 340s are both great speakers with their own strengths. The 340s will play louder, have deeper bass, and may have better transient response.

The 170s have a flatter frequency response. (And their use of a single mid/bass driver completely avoids the challenges inherent to using a horizontally oriented MTM speaker as a center channel. Granted, these problems have, for the most part, been overcome by the great care taken with the design of the 340c)

I purchased the exact same setup as what you are trying to purchase about 2 weeks ago. My room is about 14x18 with 9ft vaulted ceiling. I am driving them with denon 3805 receiver. I have not fully calibrated the system yet as i am waiting for the speakers to break in. I've used both 340m and 170s for 2 channel music. I can tell you that 340m has a fuller sound than 170s for the size of my room. 170 sounded very nice. but 340 just has more power to it. As for movies, it sounded great. i dont think i'll ever go to movies anymore.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have finally made the purchase - CMT340L&R, CMT340C, CBM 170 surrounds - and with an expected ship date of 10/17, I anxiously await the arrival of the new system!!! OK... I haven't been this freakin' excited about an electronics purchase since I was...ummmm... younger.... and got a pair of half-price Mach Ones from Radio Shack!
    I'm leaning toward one of the SVS towers as my Sub, due to the footprint and an unexpected bonus check. I really enjoy the discussion here... the opinions seem pretty fair and unbiased... and I'll post again when everything is up and running.

Thanks again for the info.

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebud
    Thanks everyone for the replies.
    I have finally made the purchase - CMT340L&R, CMT340C, CBM 170 surrounds - and with an expected ship date of 10/17, I anxiously await the arrival of the new system!!! OK... I haven't been this freakin' excited about an electronics purchase since I was...ummmm... younger....Bud
    My sympathies on the wait. If it's any consolation, it'll be worth it. Wecome to the club.

David