Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have a room null problem?

OOh sounds like a good project. I'm downloading RoomEQ now after getting my RS SPL meter to record me impersonating some sort of weird canadian/midwestern "helllooooo" voice. But hey, it worked.
    Jon O.

This is the MAN room damnit!
    Ah, it would be nice to have such a room in my house. I think a requirement for our next house is that it have a media room. I had to beg and plead with my wife to get the big black Ascends in my house. Something about not matching the decor...

That's why you get them custom painted in a color of your choice

Edit: Color of her choice

I have to say that having a room like this is great. It's a lot of fun. I need to buy a dartboard though.
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 09-17-2005 at 12:47 PM.
    Jon O.

Default Updated RoomEq soon

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    You have everything you'll need for sweep measurement except perhaps the right cables. You just need the RS SPL meter, cables, a full-duplex sound card and RoomEQ Wizard (free software). You can use the software to do sweeps and configure a BFD. WAY better than measuring by hand and would only cost you a few dollars in cables/adapters.
    Room Eq will have a new version out very soon, perhaps as early as Monday. John Mulcahy is putting the finishing touches on it.
    If you don't have a sound card with line in/out for use with it (just headphone and microphone jacks, like me), the ADStech RDX-150 will work as an external USB connection (so it works with a laptop as well), and its about $49.99 at CompUSA:
    http://www.adstech.com/products/RDX-...sp?pid=RDX-150

The box/instructions don't say it is full duplex, and there tech service has not responded to my emails about that. BUT I can confirm it did work fine for me.

The Griffin iMic is a pretty good USB soundcard (for those doing Room EQ with their laptop). My laptop also only has Mic and Line out (no line-in). It's usually found in the Mac section with all the other Griffin products, but it's compatible with Windows and Linux as well.

The iMic has Line out and Mic in, but an external switch changes the Mic input to stereo line-in.

Quote Originally Posted by tamuct
    The Griffin iMic is a pretty good USB soundcard (for those doing Room EQ with their laptop). My laptop also only has Mic and Line out (no line-in). It's usually found in the Mac section with all the other Griffin products, but it's compatible with Windows and Linux as well.

The iMic has Line out and Mic in, but an external switch changes the Mic input to stereo line-in.
    ...but make sure your Windows version is compatible. Mine is still Windows 98, and alas, it is not. Here is the company's blurb on PC compatibility:
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/sup...IC-PC-002.html

Default Damnit

So, I was playing around with Room Eq Wizard and I'm worried I've hurt my speakers.

I tried following all the steps as best I could to set up this program to do a frequency sweep. When I tried to do the calibrate step I got tons of loud nasty feedback. My ears still hurt

I have an Audigy 2 soundcard. I had the RS Spl meter connected to "Line-In", and then the "Left Line-Out" connected to "Mic-In" I thought this was okay but now I'm worried that I mis-read. Page 15 here shows my soundcard:
    http://files.americas.creative.com/m...97/English.pdf

Okay after thinking about it, I think I had the "line-in" unmuted in the playback section. It looks like that caused the feedback. I still haven't tried the program again because I'm afraid

The tweeters on my CBM-170s smelled a little odd so I'm very worried that I damaged them. I listened to some music at moderate levels and they seem okay, but my paranoid self thinks I'm hearing a slight difference. I just don't know. I'm only partially sure it's psychosomatic. Should I be really worried or should they be okay?
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    Should I be really worried or should they be okay?
    I vote for OK. If you fried the tweeter, it'd be real apparent. These things don't generally die a little bit at time. Have a glass or two of your favorite beverage and then go back and listen. I'll bet it's fixed.

David

Thanks David. I think I'll go for a run to relax and then have a beverage and enjoy the system tonight like you say. No more tweaking for today.

Also, I guess I was being dumb because I don't think I can get this to work on my Audigy 2 since it doesn't have separate line-ins/outs for left AND right. Am I right? I was under the impression that set as I had it, it should work, but re-reading the help files I'm thinking no. I dunno, I need to go do something else for awhile and come back another day.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    Also, I guess I was being dumb because I don't think I can get this to work on my Audigy 2 since it doesn't have separate line-ins/outs for left AND right.
    See my reply to your post over on AVS. I thought the same thing when I first tried Room EQ, then someone kindly pointed out to me those single jacks carry both left and right signals (or else you wouldn't get a stereo signal when you plugged headphones or speakers into them), so you just need a 1/8" > 2 RCA splitter.