Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for HO's, thinking about interim solution

Question Waiting for HO's, thinking about interim solution

Well...here's my dilemma. I am waiting with baited breath for the Hsu VTF-30 HO w/turbo, but I am afraid it won't be out in time for an important get-together (couple of best friends from college flying in) the last week of September.

So, I am considering purchasing a sub to use as an interim solution. The reason that this isn't a waste of money is that once the HO's come out I will move this interim sub upstairs to the living room where it will due light TV duty, but more importantly, eventual 2 channel music for the main house area. I am considering spending up to $400.

Am I crazy? I need to run this by the accountant (hehe), but it seems like it may work for me. I have a Klipsch Promedia Ultra sub (dual 8"s, 120w BASH amp) running LFE right now, but I did a quick freq response check and it drops off around 40-50hz FAST. 20hz is equal to the noise floor with the A/C running - 54dB. (Don't get me started about the noise level with the A/C on).

I am considering so far:
    1) Hsu VTF-2 MKII - $499 - I like the blond maple with gloss top for the upstairs, but don't want to spend that much. It's a decent upgrade I guess for the looks and the extra power. I love the idea that it can take a turbo later.
    2) Hsu STF-2 - $399 - Good price, would prefer gloss for upstairs later, but oh well. *Very Important* Will this one be able to accept a turbo charger later? I can't remember.
    3) B-Stock Outlaw LFM-1 - $??. I think I remember reading something that someone prefered a lot of the qualities of the STF-2 over the LFM, so I'm not sure. The smoke glass top is nice.
    4) SVS PB-10 is there as well, but I've been turned off the lower priced SVS's for music...is that wrong?

Any other good options for me? Is anyone going to tell me to just keep using the Klipsch Boom Boomer? I am very curious what everyone will say.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 09-10-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    Jon O.

Hey Jon, good luck on the sub hunt. I have an older DefTech 15" sub, so I'm partial to them. Their SuperCube III sub is about $700 if you can scrape together another few hundred bucks. 16Hz. I haven't heard a SuperCube, but they've gotten good reviews from The Perfect Vision & The Absolute Sound. And their ProSub line is less expensive and in the price range you are looking at. http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...oofers.html#80
    Last edited by tjennings; 09-10-2005 at 05:18 PM.
    -- Tom --
    My HT

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out. Getting to $700 is too much, mainly because I want to end up spending $800-900 on an HT sub (VTF-3 HO I think) in the end when I move this temp sub upstairs. I think if I can stay around $400 I can do it. The VTF's are temping me though....why do I do this?
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 09-10-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    Jon O.

If this going to be a music only sub in the near future. I'd check out the Rocket ULW-10. The STF-2 will not be backwards compatible with the turbo charger.

There is always using/abusing the 30 day trail period and get something to return. Of course I did that with the Ascend free shipping sale a few years ago and ended up selling my Paradigm Mini-Monitors.

Oooh, great suggestion Quinn. I had completely forgotten about Rocket subs. I would have said $499 was a bit too much, but the blond maple version is on sale for $399. Damn. Must not sell well. Hmmm...I like the looks of it for WAF factors (emailing her to see what she thinks...she's in Qatar so she'll get back to me, heh).

Do you have any links of interest you can post about the ULW-10? I was going to build the 2 ch setup upstairs on either CBM-170s or CMT-340s - I bet this Rocket would blend nicely, oh yes.
    Jon O.

I just found an Ebony Rocket UFW-10 for $400 plus shipping. Very interesting. Good deal you think?
    Jon O.

The UFW has more adjustments on it for integration than the ULW. The ULW automaticaly picks the worst room node you have and corrects it. The UFW you can pick which node to correct if you have multiple nodes. I heard the UFW at the Austin GTG and own the Hsu STF-2. The Hsu goes lower and louder but I prefer the UFW for music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    I am considering so far:
    1) Hsu VTF-2 MKII - $400 - I like the blond maple with gloss top for the upstairs, but don't want to spend that much. It's a decent upgrade I guess for the looks and the extra power. I love the idea that it can take a turbo later.
    2) Hsu STF-2 - $300 - Good price, would prefer gloss for upstairs later, but oh well. *Very Important* Will this one be able to accept a turbo charger later? I can't remember.
    3) B-Stock Outlaw LFM-1 - $400. I think I remember reading something that someone prefered a lot of the qualities of the STF-2 over the LFM, so I'm not sure. The smoke glass top is nice.
    4) SVS PB-10 is too expensive, and I can't think of any other cheaper models to consider.
    Good God, where are you getting these prices from, Audiogon? Especially the LFM-1, I immediately checked their website after reading your post and none in sight at that price. In fact I emailed Outlaw about 2 weeks ago asking about B-stock LFM-1s and they said they don't expect to ever offer any at that $400 price again.

I'm kicking myself for not ordering when it was available a few months ago...

Any idea how much these HO subs are going to run? I'm afraid to ask...

I figure for the same price as the ULW-10 but used, why not spring for it? I'm still deciding, but we'll see. The Rockets look nice which will help in the living room.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Good God, where are you getting these prices from, Audiogon? Especially the LFM-1, I immediately checked their website after reading your post and none in sight at that price. In fact I emailed Outlaw about 2 weeks ago asking about B-stock LFM-1s and they said they don't expect to ever offer any at that $400 price again.

I'm kicking myself for not ordering when it was available a few months ago...

Any idea how much these HO subs are going to run? I'm afraid to ask...
    Doh! Good catch. I must not be paying attention today. I meant to put "99"s not "00"s. Whoops. Damn. I wish those subs were all that cheap. I had only read a forum post about someone buying a $400 B-stock LFM-1 and that's where I got that price. Too bad there won't be anymore

I think I heard the VTF-3 HO should be in the $800-900 range, but I could be wrong. Who knows, maybe all the time it's taking is to tune the gold coating on them so they can go upmarket... :P

Edit: I think I'm narrowing this down to the Hsu STF-2 or the Rocket UFW-10. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 09-10-2005 at 09:05 PM.
    Jon O.