Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-the-dog
    Agreed. Alcohol distilled from corn is a viable alternative. It won't meet all the U.S. energy needs but is renewable, burns clean and definitely can be produced significantly cheaper than petro at the current prices
    Randy
    A start-up company just took over the old (fairly new really) Miller Brewery just north of here and is converting it to do exactly that. It does show some promise.

David

it was $3.09 the other day. a single cab truck has its advantages. if you're going out with a group greater than two, you can't drive. the only thing i'm frustrated about is how much an airline ticket will cost near the end of this year when i plan to visit my dad. it looks like i'm going to pay over 2.5x what i paid in 2003.

so it appears that we may eventually put beer into our tanks just like doctor emmett brown did to the delorian? instead of low carb automotive grade beer we may find max life beer for those cars over 75k miles.

Gas is between $3 and $3.30 depending on which station you go to here. There are more trucks/vans/SUVs on the roads here than cars. At least that's what I have observed. I've been playing a fun game lately where I try to count the number of cars vs trucks/vans/SUVs and I would guess it is close to 40% cars to 60% vans/trucks/SUVs here.

I have 2 fairly fuel effecient cars in my garage (30+ MPG on the highway/25MPG around town). I drive my car to the train station (8 miles) and take the train to work and my girlfriend works 1 mile from the house. So gas prices have not hurt us that much. We usually gas up every 2 to 2.5 weeks.

I've also been shopping for a new Honda Accord. You would be surprised by how many people around my area are trading in trucks and SUVs for Civics. My local Honda dealer has zero Civics on their lot. The sales manager told me that the wholesalers will not even bid on trucks or SUVs right now because so many people are trading them in.

So I'm replacing my 5 year old car with a new Accord and I opted for the 4 cylinder since it gets a little bit more gas mileage and still has plenty of power for me. I pick up my new car tomorrow after work. Yippee, my first new car!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jermy4
    Yippee, my first new car!!!
    Congrats. You're a hell of a lot smarter than I was with my first new one. A 1966 Buick Gran Sport (GS) with a 400 cubic inch, 325 hp engine. Less than 10 mpg and it could pass anything but a gas station.
    What was I thinking? Oh, wait a minute. I wasn't.

David

here's a fun site ...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Congrats. You're a hell of a lot smarter than I was with my first new one. A 1966 Buick Gran Sport (GS) with a 400 cubic inch, 325 hp engine. Less than 10 mpg and it could pass anything but a gas station.
    What was I thinking? Oh, wait a minute. I wasn't.

David
    This will be my 5th car and it has the smallest engine and gets the best mileage out of all of them I have owned. I would really love to have a new GTO but I'll have to wait a few years for that

Quote Originally Posted by jermy4
    So I'm replacing my 5 year old car with a new Accord and I opted for the 4 cylinder since it gets a little bit more gas mileage and still has plenty of power for me. I pick up my new car tomorrow after work. Yippee, my first new car!!!
    I've got a 2003 Accord, and I gotta say it's a great car! I really like it.
    I have the V6, and it gets great mileage, especially on the highway.
    I was surprised to find that I can drive from Phoenix to Los Angeles
    on one tank of gas- a distance of about 400 miles.

I've also been shopping for a new Honda Accord. You would be surprised by how many people around my area are trading in trucks and SUVs for Civics. My local Honda dealer has zero Civics on their lot. The sales manager told me that the wholesalers will not even bid on trucks or SUVs right now because so many people are trading them in.
    I was talking to a buddy at work the other day about this same phenomenon, and we both had a laugh about how long it would take these people at current gas prices to break even from their switch.

Certainly if you are in the market for a new car, I would consider buying a car that gets better milage. But to take a fairly new SUV and pay thousands of dollars to trade for a small fuel-sipper doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tamuct
    Certainly if you are in the market for a new car, I would consider buying a car that gets better milage. But to take a fairly new SUV and pay thousands of dollars to trade for a small fuel-sipper doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.
    No fault with your fiscal logic, whatsoever.
    The ONLY reasons to trade in a relatively 'new' large SUV for a small, fuel-efficient vehicle... are these, and they must be greater than one's 'dollar-sense'.
    1) You care about our fuel dependancy.
    2) You care about our air quality and general environment.

These won't put $$ back in your pocket fast enough over the life of the car to make it a smart money move, but they will (if done on a large-scale), help keep us from the will of the Saudi's and might (in the long run) help towards lowering the temperature in the Gulf and Oceans.

cheers

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

You guys are giving me a complex....

I just bought a V8 4Runner. The kids and I needed something more utlility friendly. The dealership and Toyota are offering some great deals on the V8's and the mileage rating is "only" 2mpg different.

I will let you know when I start screaming at the gas pump.
    -curtis