Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Default Gas prices

Just curious what everyone is paying for gas around the country. First fill up today for me at the over $3.00 a gallon price (well I did buy gas in Ireland on a trip a few times, with the exchange rate and liter pricing, did not want to ruin my trip figuring out what I was paying, lol). Was $3.35 for 89 octane (in NJ, gas is usually .20 to .30 cents cheaper in NJ than in PA due to higher gas taxes), so what is everyone else paying?
    Last edited by JohnnyCasaba; 09-04-2005 at 09:21 PM.

Haven't filled up my wife's car in close to a month. I don't own one. We're not sweatin the cost of gas.

David

$3 for 89 in south Texas.

My mother-in-law has a cottage off the beach in a town a little north of Corpus Christi. We went to the beach today and it looked like any normal weekend during the school year, not the usual overload of a holiday weekend. Not even the normal summer weekend traffic. Restaurants that normally have an hour's wait or more on high season weekends were seating immediately. I had a plumbing issue friday afternoon and thought we were going to have to try to find a room somewere so I started to make calls. Not only were rooms availible but they were quoting off season rates. Usually, holiday weekends are all booked up months in advance.
    Last edited by Quinn; 09-04-2005 at 05:49 PM.

$3.09 in western Iowa.

My wife and I observed that there does indeed seem to be less traffic on the roads. Not alot here to start with but even less than usual. If this lasts too long I am wondering if the U.S. will find itself facing an unexpected recession. At these rates my farming enterprise will face increased energy costs of $10K per year. That's 10K less that will go for equipment upgrades, personal expenditures etc. No doubt that folks will be tightening the belt to keep their budgets on an even keel.

Randy

$2.89 I Austin when I filled up my motorcycle yesterday.

For all the bellyaching people have been making over high gas prices, I've yet to see droves of people giving up their SUVs for carpooling and public transportation. I live very close to work and ride my motorcycle whenever possible. My wife uses most the most between us, and we try to make the most out of every trip to save on gas.

Katrina certainly doesn't help the cost of gas, as many refineries were shutdown because of the storm. The solution is rather easy, but not immediate. The US has not built a new refinery since the 70's. We need to drill for oil in ANWR (you know that ice covered parking lot in Alaska). Especially since a tiny section of that area was SPECIFICALLY set aside for oil drilling and exploration. We desperately need more refining capacity in the US. We are stretching our capacity so thin, that anything to interrupt the flow of gasoline from these refineries will cause prices to surge.

So, the next time you hear about high gas prices, be sure to thank your friendly neighboorhood environmental whacko.
    <end rant>

$2.86 (do you guys count $2.86 9/10 as 2.86 or 2.87?) for 87-octane at my local costco

Quote Originally Posted by tamuct
    So, the next time you hear about high gas prices, be sure to thank your friendly neighboorhood environmental whacko.
    <end rant>
    You're welcome.

David

Quote Originally Posted by tamuct
    <end rant>
    My pleasure.

Maybe you should to read how little oil the oil companies say is truly in the ANWR. We need to work on alternative energy. ANWR would only delay that need by a few months acccording to the oil companies.

Do a search on peak oil for a real eye opener.

Remember too that we had artificially low oil prices for a decade as a thank you from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait from Desert Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    We need to work on alternative energy..
    Agreed. Alcohol distilled from corn is a viable alternative. It won't meet all the U.S. energy needs but is renewable, burns clean and definitely can be produced significantly cheaper than petro at the current prices.The by product of production makes an excellent animal feed. Bio-diesel produced from soybeans and other organic materials is a excellent product too. We are running a soy-diesel blend in our tractors now. The exhaust smells a little like deep-fat fried french fries at McDonalds.

Randy

We're paying right at $3 for regular here in Birmingham.
    - EVH III